Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Lindsey Gauge Pod

Has anyone ever installed the Lindsey Aftermarket gauge pod? If so what did you or how did you guys do it? What gauges did you install? I am looking to install a water temperature gauge but I wanted to know if someone has done this mod before?

Old 09-15-2020, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage

Easy to put in, not so easy to get wiring up to it.

You already have a "water temp gauge", not sure why you want another one.

Turbos typically add a wideband AFR and boost gauge, like I did.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 09-15-2020, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks my water temperature gauge is broken I have been trying to get it to work but it either reads all the way up really hot or all the way down really cold. So I figured the easiest fix is to tap in my own water coolant gauge for accurate readings until I can figure out how to get the one behind the dash working.

Did you have to drill holes in your fire wall or was there a gourmet already there for you to use? How did you run the wiring? Are they powered from your radio or directly from the fuse box?

Thanks in advance for your help with this....
Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Turbos typically add a wideband AFR and boost gauge, like I did.
I have this with those gauges as well as a shift light. pulling the wiring through the console and up to the gauges is the hard part.

I had to install the aftermarket tach as I could not resolve the wiring issue to the stock one.

but on the track all I need is to see the shift light start blinking yellow, almost time to shift.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes! but how did you do it...What was the hard part? How did you do it? I was thinking about running the wires to radio for power? Still haven't decided yet...But how did you get the wires to your engine compartment? Pictures please anyone if you have them...

My gauge pod is scheduled to arrive this Thursday haven't been this stoked in a long time...Lol!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
You can run wires through the fuse box area, but it will be ugly.

There is one grommet over near the battery which you can use, but you have to take out the glovebox to get to it - lots of work.

Look for unused grommets near the top of the firewall on the driver's side - you can poke a hole through one if you can find it.

Power usually through the dash lights and radio areas, yes.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
There is one grommet over near the battery which you can use
that is what I did, just punched a hole in it to pull wires and the boost hose. just a lot of frustrating work.

I got a new AFR kit as the one I have had for a while has gone flaky. replaced the wideband O2 but still flaky and now do not trust it.

have not gone to the effort to pull out the existing one and install the new ..... yet.

just rebuilt the engine and will replace before I start driving the car hard. so far staying out of boost for a few hundred miles.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Bob, not sure if you are aware of this, but the WBO2 sensor should be farther downstream in the exhaust than the normal narrowband one. That may be why you are seeing issues.

I made my own bung for the WB, while still retaining the NB for engine management.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Does anyone know the size of the inlet & outlets on the lower radiator hose going from the radiator to the water pump? The Parts diagram I have just shows the part & the part number but I need to know the size of it so I can buy the right size adapter to fit in it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

^^^
sorry to ask but what does this have to do with a gauge pods? Adapter?
good luck.

KD
yea I know that. got the LR 3" exhaust with the wideband O2 bung down stream from the DME O2. I just think the kit in the car has become flaky. so before I get the engine broken in and turn up the boost want to be more confident in the AFR.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Antipurist

I'm installing AEM X-Series wideband AFR, and boost gauges. They're great gauges, and really low profile, which helps with mounting. I'm probably going to make my own A-pillar gauge pod though so it's sleeker
Old 09-18-2020, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This is all cool stuff...And thanks to everyone for chiming in. I installed my gauge pod and gauges about half way last night. I just put the gauges in the pod and put it on the pillar. Today or tomorrow sometime I will run the wiring to the radio's power supply, this will get the timer gauge running but I still need to know what size the upper radiator hose is so I can put in my order for the adapter to screw the temperature sensor into so I can complete the install. Also not sure what is best or to get the most accurate reading shall I install the adapter on the upper hose or the lower radiator hose. #5 or #6 or #9 even. Just not sure what's the best place to mount the adapter then the size of it...Thanks in advance for all of your help...

Last edited by PHillary; 09-18-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Will someone please help with the above question & diagram...Stuck just don't know...any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Instead of adding a new coolant sensor, have you considered replacing the OEM coolant sensor (in the head) with the lindsay sensor? You would loose the temp alarm light (if it works) but since your gauge is dead this might be the easiest way to gain a working temp gauge.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnolan View Post
Instead of adding a new coolant sensor, have you considered replacing the OEM coolant sensor (in the head) with the lindsay sensor? You would loose the temp alarm light (if it works) but since your gauge is dead this might be the easiest way to gain a working temp gauge.
No I have not considered this mainly because I didn't know about it...I don't think it's the sensor itself I think it's the gauge in the dash and/or the wiring to it...When half-way working correctly it either reads all the way hot or all the way cold...Right now the needle reads all the way cold...Just thought a gauge pod and sensor connected to the gauge pod would be a cheap easy fix plus it looks cool...Lol! for having a accurate coolant temperature reading...figured I would go back in the dash with a test light and meter and clean everything one day to see if I could get it working again but as you may already know it's a pain!
Old 09-23-2020, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So I contacted the company and order the 1-7/16 hose adapter but now which hose do you all think it is.

Part of Customer service chat transcript:
I am only showing one listing for the hose, which is a dual inner diameter so you will need to check which side you are putting the adapter on. One side is 1-3/8" and the other side is 1-7/16.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Finally figured it out now the hose adapter splices into hose #9 now I have an active coolant reading this mod was a cheap and easy fix plus it looks cool too...

Last edited by PHillary; 10-04-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Old 10-04-2020, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: