Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Here is a brake booster test routine. Maybe the check valve is backwards? https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/vacuum-booster-diagnostics/

Old 11-06-2020, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnolan View Post
Here is a brake booster test routine. Maybe the check valve is backwards? https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/vacuum-booster-diagnostics/
Thanks for the link. I'll see if this bears fruit. I plan to put the car up on stands and do a thorough bleed on the Brembo calipers one more time.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Have you checked that your vacuum reservoir is good, and the vacuum line is connected properly?
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 11-11-2020, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Just did a complete (again) bleed of all the calipers, inside and out. No bubbles, solid brake pedal.
I'll go check the vacuum reservoir for function and vacuum to it as we speak.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
Just did a complete (again) bleed of all the calipers, inside and out. No bubbles, solid brake pedal.
I'll go check the vacuum reservoir for function and vacuum to it as we speak.
The fitting on the vacuum reservoir was broken off. Looks like the PO had tried to fix it and it didn't stay. I ordered a replacement. Thanks KD.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
The fitting on the vacuum reservoir was broken off. Looks like the PO had tried to fix it and it didn't stay. I ordered a replacement. Thanks KD.
The new reservoir had no effect on the system. I still am chasing why I don't have power brakes. At least the battery box is cleaned and sorted.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Have you measured your vacuum at the booster? That should narrow it down pretty quickly.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Here's the list: I've replaced the rotors, pads, booster, check valve, master cylinder, vacuum reservoir, booster input hoses, vacuum hoses throughout, installed the Lindsey venturi delete kit and rebuilt the calipers. Brake booster line vacuum is as shown at 2000 RPM. At idle it's 18 inches hg. STILL NO POWER BRAKES. I simply have run out of ideas.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 11-19-2020 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-19-2020, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Well at least you know the issue is downstream from the hose going into your booster.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When observing the vacuum when applying the brakes, does it maintain the same level? Also is it possible the linkage is binding? Or the line is pinched and not delivering full volume? How about going back to the original venturi setup?
Old 11-21-2020, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Quote:
When observing the vacuum when applying the brakes, does it maintain the same level? Also is it possible the linkage is binding? Or the line is pinched and not delivering full volume? How about going back to the original venturi setup?
I was careful about installation that all linkage was smooth and didn't over-extend the pedal to booster linkage. I wasn't concerned about low vacuum capacity since I ran the numbers on the supply line to the booster. I assume you are talking about a vacuum indication on the boost gauge or at a fitting on the boost supply line with the booster attached? I have to wait as I noticed the aux water pump had stopped working and after running electrical checks, looks like a bad relay. After the replacement arrives I'll check per your recommendation if you can verify the configuration in my question above.

I'd hate to have to go back to stock venturi setup since I'm reading proper levels on the booster supply line.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
On my N/A there is a plastic fitting on the booster with a large line to the venturi and a small line to the recirculate flap actuator. I was thinking putting the vacuum gauge on the small nipple and checking to see what the vacuum level is when you depress the brake pedal.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Quote:
On my N/A there is a plastic fitting on the booster with a large line to the venturi and a small line to the recirculate flap actuator. I was thinking putting the vacuum gauge on the small nipple and checking to see what the vacuum level is when you depress the brake pedal.
The same on the turbo. I'll check that after the aux water pump (turbo) arrives. I also noted a little leak from where the brake proportioning valve meets the master cylinder. I decided to order a new one just for security sake. Darn things new aren't cheap.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
UPDATE: Replaced the proportioning valve, put the vacuum gauge on the T off the supply line to check the vacuum with the system connected to the booster. Vacuum was right on spec with engine running and brakes applied. Re-bled the brakes with power bleeder (again) and road tested the car. Brakes are much improved. I'm hoping the pads will settle in and get even better. If not I'll replace them with generic semi-metallic pads.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
So a bad proportioning valve? That's a new one for me.

Great to hear you figured it out.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
So a bad proportioning valve? That's a new one for me.

Great to hear you figured it out.
Yeah, it seems the rear brakes weren't getting the juice.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: