Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,249
I think there is some ambiguity here as we have not heard what was involved with your "Motor Rebuild".. perhaps we are expecting one thing but what was done was not really a rebuild?

Yes, Porsche does suggest 30K mile belt intervals. And rule of thumb for oil changes would be every 5K or at least 1/year. Most on this board will perform more frequent maintenance rituals.

__________________
1970 914-6
1987 924S
Past:
2000 Boxster 2.7, 1987 944
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 10-21-2020, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 741
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
I think there is some ambiguity here as we have not heard what was involved with your "Motor Rebuild".. perhaps we are expecting one thing but what was done was not really a rebuild?

Yes, Porsche does suggest 30K mile belt intervals. And rule of thumb for oil changes would be every 5K or at least 1/year. Most on this board will perform more frequent maintenance rituals.
Okay I took it to them halfway rebuilt because of getting screwed over from various mechanics so when I brought the car to them they decided to take the motor all the way back apart re-inspect everything and rebuilt it backup from a completely disassembled motor all of the things that were missing or just too far gone to install back they replaced with new or Used-new like the DME for instance it is a used unit I brought online and brought to them all of the sensors like the reference sensors and water temp sensor is all new...new injectors ignition coil the cams, pistons are new and crank was milled or resurfaced all from another shop but they (the dealership) re-installed them from when they completely disassembled it. So the motor itself was inspected and rebuilt by them.

P.S. the car drives & sounds fine there is a little lifter noise but that was there when they gave the car back to me. (I did not have all of them replaced I told them to replace the ones that needed replacing and leave the others alone because I did not have the extra 2300 they wanted to replace all 16 of them at the time) They told me it doesn't get much quieter than that because of all of the hop-ups I added to the engine and they reassured me it was fine...I was just a little concerned about the oil change interval and me finding metal shavings on the first oil change...Which I am guessing now is normal after a rebuild from doing some researching on the internet. Lol!

I put in Mobil 1 15w-50 this time, the car sounds the same as it did before but honestly it pulls a little better than before...I am assuming they put in their Porsche oil which according to Sunset Porsche it should've been their branded 15w-50 anyway.

I am going to install the oil cap magnet and cut the filter open in 6mos or so and see how it looks...on this oil change I did not notice any shavings on the filter or in the oil coming from the filter it was just on the plug which for me was a pretty decent amount...I will post a picture to a similar plug of what it looked like when I drained the oil....Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions...I wish I had balls enough to disassemble it myself and check it out...doesn't matter how much you pay somebody or how top notch a shop or dealership claims to be NOBODY cares about your car more than you do. Lol!


I don't think it looked as bad as this but there was definitely noticeable metal shavings similar to this though.




My fingers looked like this guys did while messing around with the plug.


Last edited by PHillary; 10-21-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Old 10-21-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered
 
Ernie944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Caraquet N.B Canada
Posts: 341
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHillary View Post


My fingers looked like this guys did while messing around with the plug.

That a lot of shavings,never had that much on both my cars.Maybe as 9ff suggest send your oil for a test. Btw I don't like that gooey stuff,migth be anti-size migth be something else
__________________
Caraquet,N.B. Canada.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
9FF 9FF is offline
Registered
 
9FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,867
It’s perfectly normal to have an above average amount of such metal after an engine rebuild. As long as there are no large pieces and what you have feels almost “velvet-like” you’ll be fine. Btw I didn’t advise you to get an oil analysis, in fact I advised you do not at this time.
__________________
Mike A
9TECHNIK | TRANSAXLE ÄRA
1986 944 (Street); 1986 944 (Track); 1986 951; 1989 951 (3.0L 8V); 2000 996 Cab.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered
 
Ernie944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Caraquet N.B Canada
Posts: 341
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
It’s perfectly normal to have an above average amount of such metal after an engine rebuild. As long as there are no large pieces and what you have feels almost “velvet-like” you’ll be fine. Btw I didn’t advise you to get an oil analysis, in fact I advised you do not at this time.
My bad I should have paid more attention to your post ,sorry
__________________
Caraquet,N.B. Canada.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 741
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
It’s perfectly normal to have an above average amount of such metal after an engine rebuild. As long as there are no large pieces and what you have feels almost “velvet-like” you’ll be fine. Btw I didn’t advise you to get an oil analysis, in fact I advised you do not at this time.
Thanks bud!!! Appreciate the feedback, So maybe in about two more oil changes or so I should have it analyzed. What do you think?

Last edited by PHillary; 10-21-2020 at 05:00 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
 
9FF 9FF is offline
Registered
 
9FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHillary View Post
Thanks bud!!! Appreciate the feedback, So maybe in about two more oil changes or so I should have it analyzed. What do you think?
If it were my car I’d do an analysis the next oil change then every other one thereafter. But like we have discussed here it’s really up to you, many folk don’t do anything and that’s also just peachy.
__________________
Mike A
9TECHNIK | TRANSAXLE ÄRA
1986 944 (Street); 1986 944 (Track); 1986 951; 1989 951 (3.0L 8V); 2000 996 Cab.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 746
While, as pointed out, its perfectly normal to have a few metal shavings in your oil after a rebuild, it might not be that great to have this stuff in your oil for a year prior to changing it.

Sounds like your engine is likely OK...but do keep track of your oil pressure (too low could indicate premature bearing wear) and rate of oil consumption - and occasionally check your rearview mirror for signs of blue (oil) smoke...both during hard acceleration (could indicate oil blow-by in cylinders) and deceleration (could indicate worn valve guides and/or valve seals).

At any rate...good luck and have fun!
Old 10-23-2020, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 741
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
While, as pointed out, its perfectly normal to have a few metal shavings in your oil after a rebuild, it might not be that great to have this stuff in your oil for a year prior to changing it.

Sounds like your engine is likely OK...but do keep track of your oil pressure (too low could indicate premature bearing wear) and rate of oil consumption - and occasionally check your rearview mirror for signs of blue (oil) smoke...both during hard acceleration (could indicate oil blow-by in cylinders) and deceleration (could indicate worn valve guides and/or valve seals).

At any rate...good luck and have fun!
Will do! And Thanks Mate!!!
Old 10-24-2020, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20
Garage
When I rebuilt my Subaru EJ251 (full disassembly, rebuild with new rings, pistons, bearings), I did an oil change at the following intervals (based on a lot of research):

1st change: initial startup - idle for 20 minutes (idle)
2nd change: after 50 miles (keep rpms under 3500)
3rd change: after 500 (rpms under 5000)
4th change: after 2500 (full rev)
normal interval

Seeing metal shavings/metal sludge is normal (magnetic oil drain plug helps), which is why you change the oil at those short intervals. Its to keep your filter from getting clogged and to flush those shavings as soon as possible. I used cheaper oil (oreilys brand, farm and fleet brand, etc) for those first couple oil changes. Not sure you need an oil analysis, but it couldnt hurt I suppose...
__________________
1989 944 S2

Last edited by walfreyydo; 10-26-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 741
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo View Post
When I rebuilt my Subaru EJ251 (full disassembly, rebuild with new rings, pistons, bearings), I did an oil change at the following intervals (based on a lot of research):

1st change: initial startup - idle for 20 minutes (idle)
2nd change: after 50 miles (keep rpms under 3500)
3rd change: after 500 (rpms under 5000)
4th change: after 2500 (full rev)
normal interval

Seeing metal shavings/metal sludge is normal (magnetic oil drain plug helps), which is why you change the oil at those short intervals. Its to keep your filter from getting clogged and to flush those shavings as soon as possible. I used cheaper oil (oreilys brand, farm and fleet brand, etc) for those first couple oil changes. Not sure you need an oil analysis, but it couldnt hurt I suppose...
Thanks for the feedback bud! I used one of the most expensive oils you can get for my second change (Silly Me) and I also didn't drive it light either (also Silly Me...) And that's because they gave me the keys and said here you go...Jus assumed they broke it in before they gave it back to me...I was told they ran the engine for an hour straight so they felt like it was fine to give the car to me (they bascially said if anything would've happen it would've happen inside of that hour when they ran it) I was never told to do anything like this (what you did above) but if I was told I would have done it. But now that I know better I will be more careful as to watching the oil change interval and changing it a little more frequently now. I was considering changing it 6 mos from now but now I am thinking to change it again in 3 mos.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:24 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.