Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Oil leak project

Next 968 project is to tear down engine lower to:
1. Replace balance shaft o-ring
2. Reseal lower balance shaft cover
3. Change oil pan gasket
4. Clean pickup screen
5. Replace rod bearings & nuts
6. Reseal exhaust & replace hardware
7. Reset heat shields
8. Retension timing belt (check) and balance belt
9. Replace oil pressure sender
10. Change oil

Any thoughts on what else to do? Belts etc. were done recently.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
I have a oil leak on the back of my camshaft box, I dont have time to pull the engine or remove anything to fix it. But its a leaker! lol. Yeup the oil pan leaks on these cars. I have the turbo, so its a night mare. I know Ed China and Anthony from wheeler dealers could pull this motor. but I just let it drip into a pizza box with cat litter soaking up the oil. Point of my response is, check your back of your cam box for leaks also.....
Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Engine mounts, if there is any doubt. Maybe just replace the right. if they are old but OK. I'm still happy with the Meyle mounts in my 968.
Small power steering hoses can be easily replaced.
Crumbling hall effect sensor connector can be replaced. Or wrapped in that clay putty glue stuff.
Any sway bar bushings, A arm bushings, as that's all coming off and the car will need to be aligned.
As such brake discs, pads will also be handy
Heater valve, if it's the OEM style that cracks in half, could be swapped for a metal version.

Lots of good degreaser and plastic putty knives help with this job. The gel degreaser is good, the walmart stuff is cheap. I am not sure which is better value.

If there is a place to run a steam cleaner or dry ice blaster on it that's not too expensive that might be worth it.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 11-22-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Just did most of this recently. All my oil leaks were fixed for almost three months. Now I noticed a drop of oil coming down from the turbo.
11 Acura RDX Turbo (wife's)
Old 11-17-2020, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Like harley's, if it ain't leaking then you're out of oil.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
Like harley's, if it ain't leaking then you're out of oil.
LOL, Euro cars dont leak, they just mark their territory. I saw a how to in an early easy rider to stop the leaks. The tore it all down to the crank case halfs, and the epoxied or some kind of sealant spread on both half crank case, it was red in color. they let it dry , re assembled it, and presto, a leak proof harley..
Old 11-20-2020, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Quote:
Originally Posted by dme View Post
Just did most of this recently. All my oil leaks were fixed for almost three months. Now I noticed a drop of oil coming down from the turbo.
If you didn't do the turbo at the same time, the seals are probably ready. I sent my turbo off to Evergreen Turbo in Ocala, FL and they rebuilt, spin balanced the wheels and resealed the turbo. It came back in like new condition.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Supposedly this turbo was replaced by the PO. It looked good... When the time comes I may consider a 26/8 or the Vitesse Stealth turbo. I must decide if I want to go down that rabbit hole.

11 Acura RDX Turbo (wife's)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: