Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to sRD924s
Angry Muffler Replacement

Today I took my car in to get some new tires put on. When I got to the shop and parked my car, I noticed the tip was hanging rather low from the muffler. When i got closer I could see that it had rusted to the point of falling apart, and was barely hanging on. I finally knocked it off on the way home since it was dragging. I guess all the rust is from all the snow this winter and the days where there was too much to even move my car.

Well now I am left with a muffler on my car and the tip in my hands. I was wondering what people have found as a good replacement. Obviously I am not looking to spend too much money, and I would like it fixed pretty quickly. I have seen posts about Bursch and Ansa replacement mufflers. What do these cost and how easy are they to put on?? Do they still look and sound stock??

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Had the same thing happen to my "S" last fall. I wanted to keep the factory look.

Are you looking for a replacement muffler for your "S"?? If so, I'm afraid that you've got an uphill battle on your hands. The S/S2 muffler looks similar to the standard 944 muffler but is a different fit altogether. Because there were so few S/S2 cars made, the factory replacement is $$$$$$$.

I called a number of places, and the average price was around $700. Anyways, I finally called Partshaven in CA, where they hooked me up with a factory used (but looked brand new) for only $200.00. Try giving them a shout; I've had nothing but good experience with them.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

None of the ANSA mufflers will fit onto the 944S?

Would a shop like Meineke or some other muffler shop be able to provide me with any replacement muffler??

Do you have any contact info on Partshaven in CA??

Thanks
Old 04-26-2003, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I did the Ansa thing when I bought my 944 3 years ago. It was a one piece cat back setup with the chrome tip. It was a drop in replacement and right around $200. No idea what they go for now.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Where did you order the Ansa from? I've been having trouble finding them for sale online, the only thing i can find is the official Ansa page, but i think they sell them though dealers not directly.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I got it at **********.com Never had a problem ordering through them.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Call a shop and find out.
Frank B
Old 04-26-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

just buy a general muffler, i got a "Thrush Turbo Muffler" for $20. They are awesome!
Old 04-26-2003, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I took it to a shop, they said it rusted off too close to the muffler, so no one so far will try to weld it back on. Additionally, no shop can find a replacement muffler either, which makes this a lot more difficult.

Does anyone make an aftermarket muffler for the 944S??
Old 04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The repalcement are from the cat back. If your problem is just the muffler and the rest of the pipe is ok then any muffler shop can find a muffler to fit it. I know nothing about the 944S but I woulddn't pay more than $300 for an aftermarket replacement.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: