Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 vs supra

When I bought my 944 I was also considering a Supra of the 3rd generation. Like 87-93 or so. I did not really like the supra looks but I respect it as an automobile. I also run a 90 4X4 yota pickup and it is still pulling with 250k on it. Granted the whole body has been re done. Anyway what are your thoughts on the preformance compaisons between these rear wheel drive sports cars of the yesteryear generation that we all love soo much?

peace Chip
Old 04-27-2003, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I used to have a 1992 Supra (non-turbo) and now the 944s2

Supra pros:

Supra is more comfortable and roomy
Supra is more reliable as long as the head gasket doesn't go, then things get pretty expensive. To avoid this have the cylinder head bolts re-torqued immediately after purchase (Toyota undertorqued them, bolts work loose, head gasket fails) and watch out for head gasket troubles.
Supra has superb straight-six engine, very smooth and torquey. Car is generally very tough apart from head gasket.

Cons

Not as fast as my S2
S2 engine has more high-end power
Supra has bad weight distribution, appalling handling on wet roads, likes nothing better than to change ends. Limited slip diff only makes things worse, in combination with auto box you get no audible warning of wheel spin (revs dont rise), except when you realise that you are going sideways. Lost count of how many times I lost it in the wet, including once when trying to beat 1.OL VW Fox from traffic lights - ended up driving alongside VW sideways!
In comparision porsche is much better in the wet, though still has to be treated with respect.

In general Supra is a good tourer, not a sports car. Porsche is a better sports car, not so great tourer.

Mark
Old 04-27-2003, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

was your supra an automatic? That is very interesting thanks!

I really like the old school pre 86 supras
Old 04-27-2003, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes it was an auto with limited slip diff
Old 04-27-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: