Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
need a new motor!!

Well, I'm lookin to drop a rebuilt motor into my 87 NA and figured this would be the best place to get some ideas and feedback.

My current motor is shot....head was rebuilt, but it needs new rings. I was thinking the easiest thing to do was buy a used motor, have it rebuilt...while also bolting on some mods....then dropping it into my car. This way I can continue driving my car while the motor is being built.

My questions are:
- Should I buy a used motor to rebuild, or just buy a rebuilt one from Huntley racing??
- How much should I expect to pay for a full rebuild if I buy a used motor??
- I was thinking about a cam, throttle, port/polish, fuel regulator, headers for mods. Anything else while I'm in there???

Thanks everyone
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 04-28-2003, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
To save yourself many a PITA job, (granted you have the cash) just go with the rebuilt from huntley. I would, but no cash. They come as upgraded as you'll need for street and as we all know there's not much you can slap on the outside for a ton more power.
I think the HR engines are warrantied for a year or something like that.
I'm also under the impression that that could also rebuild your existing engine so your numbers match up.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
By the way does Huntley also redrill the crank for better oiling for the rod bearings, if they do make shure you get it done, then you will reduce the possibility of the #2 rod brg going bad from NO pressure.
This is based on the fact that you do get them to provide you with a rebuilt motor..Stan
Old 04-28-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Or you could have the enjoyment of rebuilding it yourself, like I did.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Or you drop in a Chevy 350, and have a pretty sweet car without all of the Cranky Bull ***** that the 4 cyl brings to the Table. Or do what Todwic did, that'd be a more honest approach. But I'm a dishonest man and would love to drop a 350 in my car. I'd have to opt for the lightest possible build to keep the weight distribution as close as possible, but that's just me.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No experience with Huntley engines, so I can't recommend them. (can't say as I have heard anything negative though)

To have a Porsche shop rebuild your motor you are looking at around $4000 parts\labor. Since you say your head was recently rebuilt, that will reduce the costs significantly.

For a complete bottom end: figure around $2k - $2500 assuming the engine is already dropped. If the engine has to be removed from the car, add around 500 more.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 04-28-2003, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: