Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   My pain in the... (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/108445-my-pain.html)

gearhead290 04-28-2003 04:39 PM

My pain in the...

I"m curious about drivetrain differences between the n/a and the S. I've come to the conlcusion they ahve a different tranny, but is the torque tube different? Also, is there any differences in the wiring of the engine bay? How about motor mounts? I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Also, what all will be required to swap the 968 engine into a n/a. From what i've read it will take the complete engine, ECU, bellhousing and a clutch, am I missing anything? Anybody know a good place to find this?

Trevor 04-28-2003 06:05 PM

Why don't you just save your money and go to college, in the long run it'll be cheaper and actually make you money.

AFJuvat 04-28-2003 10:42 PM

Engine wiring harness would need to be modified, change DME, and squeeze the motor in there.

Seem to recall that the guy RossT had his done, also seem to recall it costing somewhere around $7k to have it done.

Would imagine you could do it for about a little less than half that - figure $4k

Rest of the drive train should bolt up with little to no modification But also consider that you will have a 235HP car on brakes rated for 163HP.

IMO it can be done - looking at a significant time and cash investment., would be better off buying a 951 or even a 968.

AFJuvat

gearhead290 04-29-2003 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor
Why don't you just save your money and go to college, in the long run it'll be cheaper and actually make you money.
Because I will be taking AT LEAST a year off from school and IF I do decide to further my education it will be a 2 year degree. Also, I need to fix the car right now and I don't really want to put in another 944 n/a enigne. That and it's always a good thing to figure out all of your options before you do something stupid.

Quote:

Engine wiring harness would need to be modified, change DME, and squeeze the motor in there.
How much will it need to be modified? Just a few wires or will it be a custom harness?
Also, I know the tranny won't hold it for very long, but will anything else crap out?

AFJuvat 04-29-2003 06:33 AM

I know there are some mods to the harness, not 100% sure how many. Easiest way would be to modify the 968 harness to talk to the 944 (power etc)

That said, you can nab a good 944 engine for less than $1000.

You can keep the original 944 clutch assy and flywheel if memory serves. 968 flywheels are over $1200.

AFJuvat

tholyoak 04-29-2003 07:13 AM

Here are the highlights from a response I gave on the Rennlist board.

You will need:
1) 968 engine with harness, dme, throttle linkage, oil cooler
2) 944 bellhousing
3) 944S flywhell, clutch & pp
4) 944S, S2 or 968 exhaust
5) cone filter setup to replace 968 airbox
6) There is a single wire to change in order to bypass the internal 968 alarm on the brain and give it a switched 12V
7) The connectors from the engine harness don't match the chassis harness so the wire for the oil level, tach and check engine light must be spliced to their proper wire on the chassis side
8) you need to cap off the coolant fitting on the throttle body and the one on the water pump unless you want to use the line and tank from a 968 which I'm not sure will fit.

This is from memory but I think that is it
Todd

Let me preface this with saying my experience is from swapping a 968 engine into a 944S, a very easy swap.

An additional caveat to what I posted earlier is that if you transplant into an S you need to remove the ignitor from the ignition circut.

The 944 bellhousings are dimensionally all the same, if you use the 968 bellhousing, which is very trick, you need the 968 torque tube

The coolant still flows to the throttle body just one of the return ports is blocked. I believe this was an emissions thing but I could be wrong.

We used a Sachs 944S sport clutch disk which has a segmented surface and spring center. It is more than up to the task.

The 944S trans with limited slip works quite well, excellent gearing for the torque cure of the 968 engine.

gearhead290 04-29-2003 09:42 AM

Alright, let me get this straight. I cannot use my clutch won't work (not even for short term while I come up with more money)? BUT I can use my bell housing and tork tube, but it would be better if I got them off of the 968? And I will need a 968 wiring harness and just adapt it to the 944?

Am I forgetting anything?

Trevor 04-29-2003 02:09 PM

I'm a dick, driving a taurus does that to you, good luck with your project.