Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Question Brake light on passenger side not working

I noticed yesterday that the right brake light was not working, so I took a look at it. Bulb is good (swapped with other and both worked), but in the socket it must not be getting contact.

What do I look at to remedy this? Corrosion in the bulb's seat?

Any leads??

I've not put in atf to see if the lifters would get unstuck yet, haven't had the time. I will be visiting my mechanic in two weeks so he will be able to look at that issue.
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 04-29-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
You can easily pull the entire rear light assembly. Take it out and pull the steel board (where the lights go) off the plastic board. You then can clean all the wires, connections and sockets.

I had the same problem - good bulbs wouldn't work. I would get out of the car, jiggle some wires going into the assembly and it would come on, but as soon as I turned the car off, the light would not come back on when I re-started the car. It did this for about a month. I cleaned EVERYTHING a couple of times, which worked two out of the three times. Then it went again and no cleaning would help.

Wanna know the culprit? It was that brown light-assembly ground wire inbetween the rear lights that grounds to the car. Each side has one and they end up just above the spare tire. Mine was corroded from water hitting it. I also found that my rear hatch leaked at the same time - right above this ground wire.

Cleaned it up - fixed the hatch and it's worked ever since!

944S Boyeee
Old 04-29-2003, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Boyee.....Yeah, I did see that the whole assembly can be removed....but I was in a time crunch (just got home from work and had to take 3 of the kids to their baseball games. Tonight I will check the socket and clean it up as well as I can. We'll see if it works then.

What nbr bulbs are they? When I removed the assembly last night, I noticed one of the sockets didn't even have a bulb in it! Bottom one (part of tail light, I think), so I would like to stop at auto zone on my way home and pick up some of those bulbs if I know what the nbrs are. Thanks
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 04-29-2003, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Does "nbr" mean name brand???

I just bought plain old bulbs at the gas station......4 for $2. Just made sure they had two contacts on the bottom. The difference in light given off between the "stock bulb" and the one I replaced is nil.

I was curious about that extra socket also. I think I remember someone saying it's for the Euro versions or something - I'm not sure...anyone know???

944S Boyeee
Old 04-29-2003, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, I meant number........They look like 6157 bulbs that I use for my trailer lights, though did not see anything on em, except to see that they did say 'Germany' on them.

So, there IS an extra socket, huh? I just thought maybe a bulb was removed and never replaced...and since I am always in the drivers seat, it is hard to see what lights do come on! I had two people tell me yesterday that the brake light was out, so I figured it stopped working recently.
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 04-29-2003, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ya - number - duh to me!!!!!

I think it is 6157.

Don't you just hate having lights out in a Porsche??? When my brake lights didn't work in my Sidekick, hardly anyone said anything. One lil' light goes out in a Porsche and EVERYONE just HAS to tell you. It's almost like some people "hope" something is not working correctly on these cars!!!! Must make the Porsche seem more "human" (or should I say more "Ford") to them or something.

944S Boyeee
Old 04-29-2003, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think you can buy a kit to conect the extra socket. I might have a spare light assembly cheap. If yours is corroded badly.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: