Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Update on the "mystery holes" in my 944S....

Gave Markus Blazak a call........

As some of you may know, I found these "holes" in the plastic piece that runs underneath my 944S front bumper.

I thought they may be there for increased airflow. I tracked down the P.O. and asked him why they were there. He said his "buddy" punched the holes in there because he was having a cooling problem (which turned out to be a bad thermovalve switch).

This plastic half-tube is actually for directing air to the rad. Putting holes in it will increase airflow to the air filter box, but it screws up the rad temp, as those holes are not supposed to be there. The holes actually decrease air to the rad.

This is why my car is less loud (the holes do increase sound) and performs so much better now that I blocked the holes off. The temp is correct and all systems after that are benefiting.

So, that plastic piece is not for directing air to the engine, but rather for directing air at the rad, so the holes shouldn't be there.

944S Boyeee
Old 04-29-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It always good to know what all of your holes are for.

The thing I love most about the 944 is that, for the most part, it was engineered quite well. That fact is what makes the need for "redneck engineering" unnecessary.

As much as I may curse the Germans while I work on my car, it is rarely about the way it works. Mostly I wonder how they get their obvously small hands(by where that hidden bolt is placed) to hold those oddly shaped and sized tools.

The flip side of that is that mods do so little for the money.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: