Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacement strut cartridges

I just got my strut cartridges in today and am going to install the right now! I need to know if i need a spring compressor? Thanks alot

John
Old 04-29-2003, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
Yes.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

R U sure you should be doing this?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Roastin, have you seen my Uncle yet? 911SC running around Loveland
Old 04-29-2003, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What do you mean am i sure? Do you think i am not capable of doing it?!?!

Is it a maroon one? If yes then i have, hes pretty cool!
Old 04-29-2003, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's silver.

In regards to the struts, I'm sure you're capable but you've got me worried. If you didn't know that you'd be needing to use a spring compressor, well then, ummm......be careful. Be sure to use a good one with safety "catches". Cheap ones can twist off and you'll have a nice projectile or a pinched hand. Did you get new dust boots and bump rubbers? Before you disassemble them, check to see if the upper strut mount is worn. If so this is the time to replace them. If you can rock the upper mount easily w/ slop in it, it's time. Be sure to get a new bushing/sleeve too.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yah i know i was just kidding, i can easily do it, no sweat, just wanted to know if i should go buy a set or not, i mean porsches are somewhat different, i wasnt sure if it was the same procedure as other cars struts. Every car that i have replaced struts on did need spring compressors, just makin sure No i didnt order the boots or the bump rubbers, im hoping to get them at the local porsche shop. My upper mounts make alot of noise when i turn the wheel, its the rubber i think. Doesnt it have bearings in there and cant i take it apart and regrease them? Thanks

John
Old 04-29-2003, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i meant to say i want to get the boots at the local parts store like an advanced auto, or napa auto, not a porsche dealership!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You need new mounts, the metal bearing wears, not the rubber. You basically knock out the rubber mount out of the outer metal dome w/ the 4 studs on it. Just push in the new ones. Pretty darn simple. Again, you must get new ones or good used ones.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: