Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking to buy a 944 Turbo...

Ever since seeing that episode of Monster Garage where they turn the 944 into a Golf ball shooter thing, i have been very interested in them. At first i thought they were a very "low class" Porsche and would be slow and not handle well. But after further research i have found out that i was very wrong.

So, now i am looking to buy one! I come from a family of straight line drag racers who think if it doesnt have a Chevy 350 (or larger) under the hood its slow. Right now i drive an 89 2.8L V6 Firebird that i WAS planning on dropping a 350 LT1 engine into it to get around 350HP. (while weighing a ton)

My local classifieds have 4 Porsche 944's in them for all under 10 grand. This is good, but i would like to keep it under 6000$ (so i can spend the extra money on performance parts)

Is it possible to get a good condition 944T for around 6000$?
Is there anything i should know before buying one?
What year is the best? (I heard 86 was)
I would like to get at least 300hp, what is the best way to get there?
I heard they are very reliable, but when something does break it is often costly, is this true?
Do Turbochargers often need rebuilding if never been done before?
Can a NA be converted to Turbo easily? (There is an 86 NA 944 in the classifeids for 2800$ its said to be in good condition)

Thanks in advance for answering my questions, i hope to join the Porsche comminity soon!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Do a search, this has been discussed.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Looking to buy a 944 Turbo...

Quote:
Originally posted by Soft Taco
My local classifieds have 4 Porsche 944's in them for all under 10 grand. This is good, but i would like to keep it under 6000$ (so i can spend the extra money on performance parts)

Is it possible to get a good condition 944T for around 6000$?

Maybe, but most likely it will need something done to it right away, like belts or a clutch. Figure another $1500 in repair soon.

Is there anything i should know before buying one?

Yes, check out Clarke Fltechers site at this address:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/

What year is the best? (I heard 86 was)

No, not really. 87 and up had spring loaded cam belt tensioners, 52MM wheel offset, air bags and some had ABS. 88 Turbo S would be even better.

I would like to get at least 300hp, what is the best way to get there?

Chips, and a larger turbo coupled with a MAF upgrade.

I heard they are very reliable, but when something does break it is often costly, is this true?

Yes it's a Porsche not a camaro. Parts are more, and labor is always more. As for reliable, that may be based on you're initial investment.

Do Turbochargers often need rebuilding if never been done before?

Not always, it depends on the owner, the correct oil and driving habits will make the KKK 26/6 last forever.

Can a NA be converted to Turbo easily? (There is an 86 NA 944 in the classifeids for 2800$ its said to be in good condition)

Yes but it would not be worth it take the 2800 and add another 15k to it, (for your donar turbo car) and you still would not have all of the benefits of the Turbo. The 951 and the NA 944 are almost completely different cars when it comes to engine, suspension, and even certain parts of the body.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions, i hope to join the Porsche comminity soon!
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 04-30-2003, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Looking to buy a 944 Turbo...

Quote:
Originally posted by Soft Taco
At first i thought they were a very "low class" Porsche and would be slow and not handle well. But after further research i have found out that i was very wrong.

944s and 944 Turbos are low-class Porsches. They are cheap to buy and are unfortunatly becoming a favorite among the high school aged crowd. These are not status-mobiles anymore.

They are, however, great sports cars. The 951 (944 Turbo) is probably the best all-around sports car for under $10k. Do you know of any <$10k sports cars that can do 0-60 in 6.0 sec, top out at 157 mph, out handle a 911, get 25 mpg, haul 4 people in pinch, and have a trunk large enough to accomodate an entire hood of a Ford Explorer w/ the rear seat folded (don't ask me how I know)?

Important:
Remember, Porsche parts are very expensive. You are better off spending more money to get a good condition 944 as opposed to buying a cheap one needing work.

Before purchasing, get a Porsche repair shop to inspect it. It could save you a ton of money.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Soft Taco,

Be patient...and the rare gem may turn up....

I bidded my time for a few months when I decided to buy a 951. I was finally able to get an 86 951 with 103K miles for less than $6,000. The price was low because I expressed concern about a broken exhaust stud. The shop that performed the Pre Purchase Inspection mentioned that it would cost $1,000 - $2,000 to drill out and change the stud. The P.O. agreed to absorb the cost, and we had a deal. By the time I purchased the car....it turned out the the broken exhaust stud was not a problem.....there was no exhaust leak and compression still measured at 150 psi. Here is the thread where I received excellent advice from the board:

New Baby in the Family...Need Help...

Thamlin000 pretty much summed it all up...good to have complete maintenance history...better to spend more on initial investment to get a good condition car, rather than pay later on parts.....and get a pre-purchase inspection....

I can confirm that parts are expensive.....I have 2 cracked fog lamps....this is just the lenses, not the whole housing.....and they cost $119 for each side (lowest price I could find)....

Good luck!!!

Last edited by andrewgoh; 04-30-2003 at 03:50 PM..
Old 04-30-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: