Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Brake caliper guidance

I'm hoping one of you guys or gals might be able to provide a little guidance for my situation.

I needed(wanted) to rebuild my 944 rear n/a brake calipers so, silly me, I though I would disassemble them and paint them. That went well, however, upon reassembly, I cannot figure out how to overcome the spring that holds the caliper together. There's got to be a way.

Any help would be appreciated
H2OSB

Old 03-02-2021, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If they won't slide, and there is paint in the slide rail grooves that may need to be removed and the grooves/rails need to be greased with caliper grease.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I very carefully masked those areas off, and in fact, all areas where any two parts interact, so no paint related issues. The spring is just very difficult to overcome and I've been unable to align the part that bolts to the car with the other section due to the spring pressure.

H2OSB
Old 03-03-2021, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
H2OSB - I did the same and had to figure it out. First off, congratulations on not breaking the springs where they insert into the caliper body.
Are you comfortable with the required orientation of how the “hydraulic section” needs to fit with the “frame section”? If not, Google some photos. Then- and I’m not trying to sound glib - you just manhandle them back together, using a lever to help lift the spring sufficiently to allow the two parts to once again cojoin. It’s been 18 months since I did mine, but I recall being able to get it done without needing to call in extra hands. I realize this isn’t the world’s greatest explanation, but get them oriented properly and push them where they need to be relative to one another. IIRC, each spring only contacts the “frame” in two places, so remarrying them isn’t difficult once you figure it out. They are strong and chunky parts so it’s unlikely you’ll break anything. Just don’t try to remove the spring.
I hope that helps?
John
Old 03-03-2021, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There is pretty good DIY guide on rebuilding the rear calipers on this site: Dwayne's Garage

To get the springs and plastic guides in is not easy, but it can be done.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thank you guys!! This is exactly the info I was looking for. On a couple attempts I could get one side in then would knock off the little plastic guide when trying to do the other. At that point I stopped to see if I was going about it correctly.

H2OSB
Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This job is a knuckle buster but a methodological approach worked for me.
Oh, and a few swear words!!!!!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mericet View Post
There is pretty good DIY guide on rebuilding the rear calipers on this site: Dwayne's Garage

To get the springs and plastic guides in is not easy, but it can be done.
This is a very good write-up.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I looked at that write up. I agree its an excellent resource. I was hoping there was an easy way, but since it appears there isn't, I'll get my swear word dictionary out and have at it.

Thanks all
H2OSB
Old 03-03-2021, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When I did mine, I used a bench vise to help out. If you take it slow and (as said above) methodically it is not that frustrating.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Here's a couple of reference photos for you.
This was just after my caliper rebuild. Before I changed over to the turbo Brembo 4 piston calipers.
Good Luck
Old 03-03-2021, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

BTW, This is all the old rebuilt stuff off my 86NA. Less than 500 miles on them before I upgraded. SEBRO rotors new bearings.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I used C clamps to reassemble

As mentioned in the referenced "Dwayne's garage" link for disassembly I used C-clamps to hold the springs down and in place for reassembly. Once the two parts were started together you can remove the clamps and push the two caliper parts together all the way. I also had a helper for this step. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I followed that guide and used C clamps as well and got them together. Thank you very much everyone!

H2OSB

Old 03-03-2021, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: