Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944> Keys Cut from VIN.

Gruppe:

I was at the local dealer today picking up a formed hose to go between the fuel pump and tank outlet (the 75 deg turn in the 1/2" inner dia hose precludes the use of generic unformed hose, which kinks) and inquired into VIN-cut keys. I want this so that my worn key is not used to make a new 'worn' key.

They quoted me $40 for the service and then the cost of the head. Is that typical? I pay about $11 or $20 for the Bimmer keys cut similarly. At those prices, I don't even think of having them cut w/ VIN reference, which is as good as new. All the locks even work better.

Neil Deshpande
1987 944 NA
Old 04-30-2003, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
hmmm.. I'd guess that all dealers would do that?.... maybe?.... I need a new key, oh wait I have to FIX my car first.. right, right... nevermind
Old 04-30-2003, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
Frank:

I'm pretty sure all dealers do this, but you have to take in your title and ID in addition to the VIN, naturally.

I have had about 10 Bimmer keys cut similarly as the key is designed to wear instead of the lock so a new key results in nicer lock action. Of course, the Bimmer rebuild kit is only $18 for the locks so I've rebuilt all the iffy ones as well. I expect the Porsche ones will be quite a bit more, but worth it, IMHO.

You could save a few bucks by buying the head in the aftermarket (http://www.alloembmwparts.com, which also sells Porsche parts) and getting only the blade cutting done at the dealer, but that is too much hassle for too little gain, IMHO.

Neil Deshpande
Old 04-30-2003, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: