Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

gasket seal additive

I keep my 951 stored a lot and just put about 2000 miles a year on it. I am worried that the seals in the engine may start drying out. Does anyone know about the bars leak additive that goes in your oil to condition the seals or some other brand additive. Are these additives ok to use and do they work? I have no oil leaks now but don't want my gaskets and seals to dry out.

anyone have any experience or knowledge of these additives??
thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I make it a policy not to add stuff to my oil. It's made for Fords and Honduhs. I don't put stopleak in my coolant. Additives just aren't worth the benefit, and they usually don't do all they say they do
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Additives are bad.

Best prevention, drive the car at least once a week for at least 20 - 30 minutes

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-01-2003, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same problem, I never have time to drive my 951, and yes it does start to dry out. Each summer when I go to start it up again it hemmorages oil from a new location.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 05-01-2003, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I know, I am not a big additive user either but I wondered if anyone has used the seal and gasket oil additive or has any information on it. Lubro Moly makes one for that and their products appear to be a highly regarded.

Last edited by T86951; 05-01-2003 at 08:01 AM..
Old 05-01-2003, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

use one of the new higher mileage motor oils made by castrol or valvoline, they have seal swelling ingredients,
Old 05-01-2003, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I use aditives guess it came from Dad. He used STP with every oil change. I have never used any of the Bars aditives. I figure you get what you pay for. I usually wast more money. I have not had much luck with aditives fixing problems but I belive the saying An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I couldn't say but the Zmax stuff makes alot of claims. I used the fuel aditive and it seemed to do as good a job as the Techron. I have used Duralube, Restore, and Slick 50 in most of my cars I still blew two motors though. One stright six Chevy and one Kiaser V8. Both snapped a conecting rod. Other than that I have had good luck with motors. I agree with AF though you need to run the motor once in a while to keep it lubed up. There are special procedures for storing a car for extended periods.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Last edited by Roger Hall; 05-01-2003 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-01-2003, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: