Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Coolant change question

Is there a good reason not to use Prestone Radiator flusher? I drained the coolant and ran strait water for a little bit. Now I would like to make certain that it is clean. The Prestone calls for filling the system with flush and water, running until hot, emptying, filling and running with water until hot, and then putting in Coolant. I was just worried about the prestone stuff messing things up. Also, when I have enough Coolant in there, will it come out of the bleed cap itself?

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 05-01-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Salt water? Never heard of that one before...it doesn't sound god. I think it is recomended that you use a phosphorus free coolant. The DEXCOOL (orange stuff) is compatable. Alot of people say it causes problems. I have run it in a Dodge and a Saturn without problems. Also use botled distilled water. If I am correct the difference in conductivity between the Aluminum head and iron block can cause electrolysis if the coolant is alkiline (salt water bad). I havn't read the procedure so dont take this advice as gospel. I belive that you remove the red cap and fill the system. Air escapes through the bleed hole once all the air is gone and that system is full replace the red cap. Then run the engine untill warm and then let it cool down. The remove the red cap and rebleed the system add more water if necessary. Depending on where you live use equal parts antifreeze and distilled water.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Salt water? I don't think I said anything about that. Someone will have to try it. I can think of someone, but they are about to sell their car.....

I went ahead and put the Prestone stuff in. I put about 1 gal of water and the little jug of prestione in. I left the little red cap off and kept the filler cap on.
Drove the car around the yard (no insurance yet). The temp gauge crept up to just under 1/4 and stayed there. The stuff only came out of the red hole after a jerky start on an incline. The only thing I can think is the filler cap is nonfunctional/not providing enough pressure. The hoses for the coolent are certanly hot, and the fan for the rad. is coming on. Everything else looked/ sounded ok.

As I under stand it, the bleeding process goes:
1) fill tank, replace fill cap
2) run car until stuff comes out red hole
3) while stuff is coming out red hole, plug it, refill reservor
4) run car a bit, repeat

am I correct? and if so, why is it not coming out the red hole?

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 05-01-2003, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike
Salt water? I don't think I said anything about that. Someone will have to try it. I can think of someone, but they are about to sell their car.....
Opps you said stright water... I must be an idiot.

I am not sure coolant is supposed to come out the bleed hole. It sits pretty high. If you remove the cap and squeeze the hose coolant should come out. This should mean that all the air is out of the system.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: