Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Alusil Cylinders

Hello All,
CAll me stupid, but i took apart my engine, and noticed that inside of my cylinders, there was some buildup. So I took a piece of 1000 grit sand paper with some brake cleaner and got it off. It didn't take much because there wasn't much of anything really. Anyways, my question is...My cylnders are alusil. and i dont know if i took the etch off when i took the sandpaper to them. Does anyone know how delicate the surface is??
Old 05-01-2003, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What saying "If you have to ask dont do it." I think if the surface can stand up to the heat and friction under operating conditions you have not ruined it. I would wonder how long it will last though.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yeah..well i didn't even know that it was an issue until i read later that there is a coating on them..
Old 05-01-2003, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
So you have an SC and a 944? Jut curious...And yes you should be ok depending on how much sanding you did.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 05-01-2003, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i have an sc..but i know that all you guys have alusil. so i thought i would ask you all. And i didn't really sand that much at all..just a couple of times around the walls is about it
Old 05-01-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
If you can determine the manufacturer of the cylinders for your car, most of them have US reps. That rep should be able to give you a definitive answer to your question, The Mahle US rep is here in Calif (within blocks of where I work). If it is Mahle, let me know and I will call them for you..
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
are you talking about above the space where the ring ridge would be on a cast iron block? I used sandpaper on mine too, to get the deposits off. rings don't ride on that area, so I don't think it maters. my 2&cent.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I doubt you did any damage if you only went around a couple of times...The silicon in the block is very tough stuff and that is actually what the rings are making contact with...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: