Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Double check this wishlist for me please

Ok, so i have decided that i want a 944 Turbo for sure. (i was also considering a Nissan 300ZX) I want it to be fast, but i dont want it to have so much power that things start breaking left and right. I will probably put at least 15K into this car, (Probably more like 20K hehe )

Anyways, i figure i should get a car in almost top condition as my starting point. Around where i live, there are some pretty nice ones for sale in the classifieds, so i should have no problem finding a decent condition one for around 7000$ (i would have bought overkills, but i dont have all the money at this point and he already sold it.)

So, here is my list:

86-89 Porsche 944 Turbo in good condition: 6000-7000$
Major tune up and misc. repairs etc: ~1000$

ENGINE UPGRADES:
AUTOTHORITY STAGE II CHIP SET: 500$
LINDSEY 951 BOOST ENHANCER: 90$
LINDSEY MODIFIED PERFORMANCE BLOW OFF VALVE: 190$
944 Aluminum Flywheel: 600$
BOSCH HIGH VOLUME FUEL PUMP: 160$
Kokeln 944 TURBO INTAKE KIT: 710$
MSD BOX from my old car.

TOTAL: $3550

SUSPENSION UPGRADES:
944 Cambermeister Strut Brace: 200$
Quaife ATB Differential: 1300$

TOTAL: 1500$

BODY:
Kokeln GTR Bumper: 700$
LINDSEY RACING 944 MAF TRAP: 100$
Kokeln SHORT SHIFT LEVER: 180$

TOTAL: 980$

So, im looking at about a 13000$ investment over the next 1 or 2 years. Which IMO is alot better than buying some stupid, slow brand new 2003 Ford F150 or something. (I dont like new cars anyways)

Please, feel free to post comments or any other insitefull help. I have 2000$ saved up right now, i can probably get at least 3K for my car right now. (needs a paintjob) so i could probably have a 944 Turbo in the next 2 months!
Old 05-01-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to XJOSHX Send a message via Yahoo to XJOSHX
you might want to check out www.speedforceracing.com and www.huntleyracing.com for some performance goodies. I baught a lot from both of them when I had my 951 and I have nothing bad to say about either company. many many great parts!!
1984 944 N/A (Sold)
1986 944 N/A (Sold)
Old 05-01-2003, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: Double check this wishlist for me please

Quote:
Originally posted by Soft Taco
Major tune up and misc. repairs etc: ~1000$

thats perhaps on the conservative side.
just make sure you look over EVERYTHING before you buy one. unforeseen repairs will cost you more on this than almost any other car.
youll probably have to replace belts: $1000-1500, get them retensioned: $200. and a clutch could could cost you up to $2500. but if youve got the money to throw around that you say you do then those probably wont discourage you.
i am of the opinion that a car is more than the sum of its parts. if you want a fast car and you got 10k, you can pick up an awesome camaro or a 928 (again expensive to repair) or a plethora of other cars that come stock what you want to make this 944 into.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
OK, here are my revisions:

Misc. maint: $2k

Engine:

I think the following items are unecessary:
chipset, a MAP conversion will take care of that.
BOV, stock one is fine for how much air you'll be moving.
"boost enhancer" overpriced simple manual boost controller, get a real one for much less.
aluminum flywheel, installation will run close to $1k, and it's not worth it.
high volume fuel pump, you won't flow past half the capacity of the stock one w/your stock turbo
kokeln turbo intake kit is overpriced, and again not necessary. A real intake can be purchased w/your map.

Here's what I suggest instead:
Manual boost controller, garrett turbo, map sensor conversion. $3k, and a hell of a lot more power than what you were planning to do.

Suspension:
Strut tower brace would be the last thing I would do, set of coil overs $2200, bushings, alignment etc. If you want to go cheap, do shocks/springs all around, and maybe sway bars and bushings, as well as alignment.

Body: Skip all of this. Car looks fine as is, any mods will likely reduce resale on top.
Ahmet
Old 05-02-2003, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944ThatCould
those 300zx's arent the greatest. I've taken a 300zxN/A in my 85.5 n/a by 3/4 of a car.. almost a whole. little more than a 1/4 mile.
=|
Old 05-04-2003, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: