Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

how much work is too much?

do you guys ever just draw the line and decide that the 944 is aging and the cost of upkeep is more than its worth to you?
today i noticed paint chipping off of the roof. my instinct is just to give her what ever she needs but rationally i dont think doing any more major repairs this year would be best.
what do you guys think? is this just part of upkeep on a car this old? am i overreacting? should i apologize and have make up sex with the 944?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It is a very fuzzy line.

You need to ask yourself: "What is this car worth to me, and how long am I keeping it"

Scheduled maintenance (belts, clutch, etc) and paint jobs do NOTHING to improve the value of the car - only lets you hold on to what the car is worth.

As an example, my car is mechanically flawless (ok, it needs a front end reseal, will do that when it is belt time), it is however (just ask the few BBS members that have seen it) in dire need of a paint job (PO gave it a Maaco - clear coat is peeling), and the fuchs are chromed (I live within 2 miles of the Atlantic - they are pitted and peeling)

Car looks great from 10 feet away.

Will I ever paint it, in all honesty, probably not. It is a great car, a joy to drive, and has provided me with lots of fun, but it is not worth the cost of what a good paint job would cost. Not when I can pick up a nicer NA or even a 951 for the $5k a good paint job would cost (working in a garage, you pick up cars really cheap).

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-02-2003, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
It really just depends on how much you love your car, how much $$ you have laying around, what you have to do that's more important to you than have your car fixed, and how much you like to fix your car yourself. IMO. I'll NEVER get out of my 944 what I've put into it. as an investment, it would be a dismal failure. Sell it? not unless I have a 951 lined up to buy. stupid? yes indeedy. If I had to take it to a garage everytime something F'd up on it, I'd have already sold it, or shot it. I like fixing (or trying to fix) it.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

todwic - You couldn't have said it any better. Whenever I work on my "write-off", I ask myself "how much was it worth before Porsche decided to build it?"

Last edited by caper; 05-02-2003 at 04:22 AM..
Old 05-02-2003, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you do your own work, you could view it as cheap therapy. Before getting really upset with it an ditching the car, look at it rationally. All old cars go through a period where there are lots of things going wrong, both major and minor. Usually the owner gets fed up with it and then sells it to someone like me who will finish fixing the issues and has a great car for the next 50k miles, with no payments to deal with. Think it through carefully, go price a new car, think some more and enjoy the Porsche.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This is a tricky subject but remember that most of us bought our cars for non-rational reasons. If we applied reason, we'd all be driving around in econo-boxes. Most of us buy these cars because we:
(1) Like cars.
(2) Like Porshes
(3) The 924/944/968 was in our budget range at the time of purchase

For me, I've decided that I'm keeping my S2 for the long haul and I will put whatever is needed into it to keep me happy. I won't make the money back but what the hell, you only live once.

To give you an idea if where the money is gone on my car, take at look at:

http://www.weissach.net/WP0AB294XMN410197-History.html

Karl.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I plan on keeping mine but Its been in the family for 21 years. Hopefully it will be fully restored in the next few years. Since mine is a 81 924 it will be a huge waste of money. I have always worked on cars and helped restore a couple that didn't belong to me. A 59 Ford Retractable, A Porsche and a Dodge. Now I want to restore my own car. Its sort of a hobby, and it will probably be cheaper than buying a boat.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
least common denominator

Porsche Crest

Todd and others hit it pretty good...
I think of my 944 as a hobby and as such it is all a matter of how much you want to spend.

If I were a rich man she would have a new paint job, I would buy the P-car cloth and have the front seats done, and once a year I would drop it off at the dealer and tell them to fix whatever...

As it is... the paint job and reupostery are on hold...
And I will take it to a good mechanic and tell him to keep it alive.

However many people spend as much or more money on their hobbies, music, classic cars, boats, airplanes, golf, etc.

sheez... court side seats for the Lakers are $2000 a pop!

Bottom line - I don't think I will ever be without some kind of 944 it just too much fun to drive and looks so cool.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: