Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Smile tips on buying used

I've got an opportunity to buy an 83 Porsche 944. It's got 208,000 miles, all highway (literally), and has been babied its whole life. The current owner is my small-town highschool councellor. The only damage on it is a little rear quarter panel dent, which the body shops have said would cost about $300-400 to fix. Other than that, this car has been taken really good care of. He said he would sell it to me for $2000.

anyway, What do i need to look for when making a decision on buying it? Also, what questions should i ask, and what kind of answers do i want?

Thanks!

Bryan Thompson
Elwood, NE
Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the questions:

When was the timing belt changed?
When was the water pump changed?
When was the clutch changed?

All of these are fairly large repairs. The timing belt is an expensive maintainance item that must be changed every 4 years or 40k miles, if it breaks, so does your engine.

$2000 sounds like a good deal.

Remember, 20 year old daily driven cars will need attention.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

More important than any of the above mentioned, ROD BEARINGS!!! Anything w/ more than 150K will have worn bearings regardless of how much it has been babied. Spin one and you'll be rebuilding the motor.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

this was helpful to me when i was buying my car:
http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html
if hes babied it he may have service records in which case i would say go for it
Old 05-02-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

how do you know if you have worn bearings?
Old 05-02-2003, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Only way to know for sure if rod berrings are worn is to pull the oil pan and check them. A symptom of worn berrings is low oil pressure. Oil pressure should be over 5 at start up and over 2 after the car is warm. over 200k the engine will need a rebuild soon. Run a compression and leakdown test.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

you can't tell w/ oil pressure on these cars, and if you're already in there checking them, you should be replacing them, only about $65 w/ new nuts. Might as well install a new pan gasket too.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
have you seen the 3 piece crossmember to drop the pan, too cool!$$$
Old 05-03-2003, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I second the suggestion of a compression test and close observation of the oil pressure. You'll be greatly dishearted if you have to rebuild the motor shortly after you get the car.
If you can find someone who has run these cars before, that would be helpful to get a feel for steering, suspension, clutch and trany health. However, if you know and trust the guy selling the car, he should be able to tell you what services were performed on it. It should have gone through at least one clutch.
Good luck,
Scott
Old 05-03-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to cix
1. Could you replace the rod bearings to make the car run longer, without worrying about other things until they cause a problem?

2. Aint that what they do on semi's?

3. Can you do this with the engine still mounted to the vehicle, with the car on jack stands?

Thanks, Josh
Old 06-09-2003, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Having JUST finished the oilpan gasket, I must agree-its a ROYAL PITA.

on the original topic- I have been looking for a 944 for many many months, waiting to find the right one, right color, right options, and right PRICE. If you are mechanically inclined, and dont really NEED to rely on it right away, go for it. Get a PPI- its cheap insurance.
I have seen 944s in the 2500-4500 range and expect to have 1000$ in the bank as a backup just in case.

Welcome Bryan- you'll be hooked before you know it.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 06-10-2003, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Look for any smoke it may expell.
Like the others saied. when was the timing belt changed?, Clutch etc.
But for 2000 its very worth it. A very addicting car i got mine when i was 16 and i cant live without it. Fun to drive but not too fun to work on. but besides that go for it.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've seen people use a 4X4 and some chain to do the clutch and a few other things on fords and hondas. I admit, those weren't porsches and it probably wouldn't be such a good idea, but you could do the oil pan and rod bearings without spending much money.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Also drive it....Not just around the block but spend at least an hour behind the wheel in all driving situations...Get to know the car, does it feel right? Its should feel like your falling in love!
Good luck/skill!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: