Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Hot Engine

Alright, Im starting to get fed up with my heating problem. My car temp shows 3 bar when Im driving wherever. If Im on the highway it goes down a little and when im stopped it goes up a little. I flushed and bled the coolant. It seemed to have a little oil in it. (Oil cooler seals?) My fans seem to be wired direct so they stay on constalty or could that mean a bad thermo? I know that one fan was replaced in the past on the car. When I turn the key to position 1 they come on. It sometimes drains my battery pretty low also. Well back to my problem. If it is my oil cooler seals ..what should i check for, what tools do i need and what else should I change while im in there?
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 05-03-2003, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Oil in coolant probably means oil cooler seals. You have enough coolant in the car? Did you recently change the coolant? If so you removed all air pockets? How long has this overheating problem been going on? If you fans stays on all the time even when you should your car down then its your thermoswitch. Do the fans come on right away after a COLD start? If not then they say on all the time because your car is overheating. What color is your coolant?
Old 05-03-2003, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I keep having to put more coolant in my car because it is leaking. Its dripping onto the oil pressure sender then dripping onto my power steering pump it looks like. I just changed the coolant about 2 weeks ago. I got all air out. The overheating problem started when I swirved on the highway a while ago. I know that sounds stupid but that was the time it started to get hot outside too so it could just be the temp outside. My fans stay on constatly unless the key is not turned in the ingnition. They turn on when i first start my car in the morning and dont stop until i pull my key out when i get to school. If im like chilling listening to my radio when my car is cold without the engine running the fans are running. Its weird. And when i flushed my coolant it was a couple shades darker green then the regular prestone green and when i looked from an angle it could see oil on the top. Right now when i look in my coolant res it looks like the right color. I really wouldnt know unless i drained my coolant again. I guess ill go buy some more prestone.
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 05-03-2003, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Woah, I was reading the repairs that the last owner had gotten done. And on one of them there was another receipt stapled on that i never noticed. It says, New radiator fans put on, new wiper arm. But when i read below it says, Fuses blow on cooling fans, stereo fuse also. Then it says needs thermo fan switch (hrmm?) then it says "RADIATOR STARTING TO LEAK!" but doesnt say where then it says "fan wiring hacked the F*CK up" without the f*ck (I knew that already!). Then the bill came up to like 527 for new fans and work. Damn sneaky staples hiding important info!
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 05-03-2003, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
If it's getting to the 3/4 mark quickly and then staying there, I would check my temp sender, and I would replace the thermostat with the lower temp model.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had this problem. Make sure that there is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Its pretty easy to spot when you inspect the Coolant and oil. If the oil apears milky or the coolant has sludge in it, than your oil cooler seal ids bad (as mine was) then the system needs to get flushed out really well and the oul cooler seal replaced . Its not too expensive to fix. Also, I think 944 runs a bit hot to begin with. Out of all of my cars I have had, this 944 has the highest engine temps of all.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It warms up slowly, but it looks like there is oil in the coolant but not coolant in the oil which is good so i guess ill go get some oil cooler seals.
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 05-04-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If it turns out to be the oil cooler seal, you may want to change the oil befor running the car again. I have heard that a side effect of the oil cooler seal problem can be worn engine parts due to the corruption of the oil with coolant. My car runs in the upper 3/4 mark very often. But note it should never go into the upper red zone. Then you have a serious heat problem. As long as it stays below that you should be OK. It sounds like you may have additional coolant system problems so to be sure check out the other things too ( radiator,waterpump,fans,ect). I remember that the thermostat can be a problem if its stuck, and you can get a wider upgraded one that will help bring your temp down. also make sure that there is no debris blocking the radiator as well.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
If you have coolant in your oil you looking at premature breakdown. Where theres suppose to be oil theres coolant. Coolant is not slick so if there was coolant say in your rod bearings,... your looking at something catastrophic. All the friction thats occurs from the coolant being in areas where there is suppose to be oil will heat your car up more then it is suppose to be. Oil in your coolant is also bad seeing the oil takes ALOT longer to cool down. Therefore no matter how ahrd your car tries to cool down it wont. Plus the oil will cake up inside your cooling system narrowing down your cooling passages. Your car is going to have a heart attack very soon. To reseal the oil cooler you do not need any special porsche tools just the basic. If you have the basic tool you can easily do it yourself. Get yourself a good reseal kit online for 20 bucks and give it a go. We are here to help you. It's very easy. Once you are done you might want to flush out your engine by using Juvats Power steering fluid mixture to clean out any coolant that might be left up in there. Also you should flush out the cooling sytem a couple of time too. After that you should be ok. If your fans come on right away, as in as soon as you start your car then you have a bad sensor or something. If you fans turn off once the kay is removed then your Thermo swtich is fine.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: