Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Emissions BS

Well, it's time to dish out some $$$ on my car again. Just tried to have the emissions tested on my car for the first time (moved from an area where it didn't have to be done to this place). Aparently the previous owner switched out the catalytic converter for something else. Now i'm on the hunt for a used one. What really is bad is that I only have to get it tested once. 20 year old cars don't have to be tested. After this time the next test will be 2005 making my car 20 years old. What was the cheapest Catalytic converters that others have found?
Old 05-03-2003, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Try Discount Converters on the web. Fred is pretty helpful. If that fails, I got help from Kansas City Converters. Talk to Cheryl. Let me know if you can't get their number.

You may get a local shop to cut and weld in a universal replacement cat. Nobody wanted to get near mine because of the waste gate pipe being right next to it. You shouldn't have that problem.

As a side note, the four counties surrounding Houston went to the higher standards Thursday. The failure rate was 1 out of every 8 vehicles. They said we average 1 out of every 10 in this county. That's a lot of cars failing emissions tests.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I have a used 951 cat for sale. I assume it's functioning fine, no rattles, etc. The stainless steel is in relatively good shape, and is only a little tarnished. I'm looking to get around $70+shipping for it.

If not you can try convertors unlimited for a new and relatively high flow cat for less than twice my asking price. Make sure the tube diameter is correct.

Also try e-bay if you're going non-stock and are on a strict budget.
Ahmet
Old 05-03-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm going to have a look around here (Ontario, Canada). Try to find a cheap one. I'll keep it in mind though. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

They're trying to rip me off... got two quotes here so far. One from a place that I regularly go to wanted approximately $920.00 installed. I called the nearest Porsche dealer to see what price they had - $2,245.00!!!!- I asked if they had any idea of any scrap yards or used parts dealers in the area - Big suprise - they said No. Starting to look like i'll be importing one... I continue searching tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

$920 is nuts.

Just for comparison: I bought a bolt-in replacement for my stock configuration. I wanted to keep the car original as possible. I found a rebuilt cat. Paid $440 delivered to my house. Now if I ever go to the track, I can bolt the old pipe back in and run without a cat.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Question

Sid-

So you refer to bolting on a different cat. My knowledge about this is limited, so bare with me here. Without welding, can I just bolt on a test pipe, and then bolt the cat back on in the event of emissions testing? I thought I had to weld stuff...

I hate my cat cause it rattles like hell till it warms up- someone said the junk inside has broken loose of the housing.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ramm,

As far as I can tell all the turbos have the same exhaust setup. The part I unbolted connects to the turbo body and the wastgate. Then you have either a 3 or 4 bolt flange that connects it to the pipe going to the muffler. It's a long piece, about 4'. But it is something you could put on/take off with a little effort. It's not easy, but it's not hard either. More a pain in the rear. But, in the event I go for a dyno run against some mustangs maybe I'll do a little switch. (Did I just say that out loud?)
hehehe

Anyway, the underbody remains stock this way. Since my original cat was gutted, it's not worth anything to try to sell. May as well hold onto it. The rafters of my garage are full of crap like that. Like the unused Bursch headers for a 944 n/a that are collecting dust up there. My garage looks like Sanford & Son moved in there.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I found a "universal cat" down the street for $130.00 Can. There's no way I can justify paying more than that anywhere else. I only want it so that I can have it emissions tested. I don't even care if it fails the emissions test. Around here if the car fails the emissions test and the repairs are over $200.00 you get a conditional pass. This pass is good for another two years until the next test. In two years my car will be 20 years old. Cars that are 20 years old or older do not have to be tested anymore.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Final result - $250 including the install. $135 for the Cat itself. I still can't believe that Porsche wanted over 2 grand for the part.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by Eleg
Final result - $250 including the install. $135 for the Cat itself. I still can't believe that Porsche wanted over 2 grand for the part.
How long have you had this car?
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Eleg
In Ontario, I believe the limit for a conditional pass is $400. If the CAT does not work try changing the O2 sensor (Bosch #13913). that maybe what was the problem in the first place.

Mark
'86 944NA
Old 05-20-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've had the car for about 3 or 4 years now. Limit for conditional pass is $200.00... this does not include the cat though. They wouldn't even do the emissions without having a cat. I'm getting the test done Friday. Todwick - this was the first time I bothered checking with Porsche directly.... may as well forget them from now on..
Old 05-20-2003, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
hi eleg ! while my cat is in good shape, i'm in the same situation as yourself, as regards emissions test ! come november, this will be my last emissions test, and then the government can stick their test right up their%$%!!! i intend to ditch the cat, and i'm looking into a decent system, to put on the car.
as far as this country is concerned, the test is only a tax grab for mr cretin {yes, you read that right}.
good luck with your test!!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

am I wrong that bypassing or straight-throughing the cat can decrease lower rpm performance.(something that sucks on the 944 anyway)

If no emissions and no power loss why not straight pipe it.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

HAHAHA.... I definately agree - MONEY GRAB! but... will wonders never cease? IT PASSED! Someone told me not to ditch the cat though after 20 yrs because for some reason a roadside check with no cat can equal heafty fine... I dunno.... when it comes to the government it's "Bend over... thank you sir may I have another?"
Old 05-23-2003, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: