Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Red face CV Joint...or worse...

1987 944 n/a manual transmission

Hi guys, Im not sure if I have a bad CV or if its a clutch problem. I do not know if I have a rubber center clutch or not.

Here are the symptoms:

1. tapping noise. not clanking. light tapping- several in a row upon aceeleration and deceleration.

2. from mid to rear of vehicle.

3. only when in gear. no sound in neutral regardless of revs.

4. under load

5. 15-30 mph

6. hard acceleration makes it worse i think.

7. sudden onset, no prior warnings

any thoughts? well wishes? eulogies? obituaries?

UPDATE: the sound is definitely coming from the drivers side rear wheel ( i was driving with the door open and leaning out of the damn car). Whats more, I got the thing up on jacks and I can rock the rear wheel back and forth (rotation) quite a bit when the car is in gear. On the other side the rear wheel does not move back and forth more than an inch or so.

Last edited by brett25; 05-03-2003 at 07:10 PM..
Old 05-03-2003, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Yep. Sounds like CV joints to me. I just had the same symptoms last winter, and it turned out to be the drivers' side CV. They have more of a chance to "dry out" because they are closer to the exhaust than the passenger side. Should be a straightforward fix; I opted to buy the joint as it was easier to pack & install. You're looking at $150-190 for the part if you can do it yourself.

Your clutch should be fine.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Panzer, how about all that free play in the rear wheel? Is that part of a CV problem too?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Hmm. Are you saying that there is considerable "play" in just that one wheel when up on jacks? If so, its probably a rear wheel bearing. Did you squeeze the CV boot and inspect the grease (or lack thereof) when you were under the car?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes there is play in the one wheel when the car is in gear. It seems like the whole axle shaft has play in it up to the trans.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Your cv joints are shot.

I just replaced mine. I was going to just repack them, but when I got them open they were galled up pretty good. Mine weren't making any noise at all, just had one boot with a slight split. If yours are noisy, my bet is they're shot. Better plan on replacing them.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting update:

Well I took the left rear wheel off and decided to have a good look at whats going on. First, It looks like the CV boots are fine, the inner one looks like it may have been replaced at some point.. Not too much movement from the axel either. Take the car out of gear and spin the wheel--there is a rough spot in the rotation. Like its rubbing or something. bad wheel bearings? No. Im almost certain it has to do with the parking brake. When i drove it for a test, I pulled up an the parking brake and heard the most god awful clank sound. Something in the parking break has broken. brake is broke.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Parking brake? Could be, but your afore-mentioned play in the wheel sounds pretty suspect to me. Very indicative of a wheel bearing on the way out.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey, i have the exact same symptoms with the same year car. just had front end done, belts,h2o pump, etc. they said that one of the rear axle joints was bad and they replaced my whole axle. i still get the same sounds as before and they said nothing about any bad cv joints. sounds like it to me.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Paulc, try this test: while you are driving (20mph or so), slowly pull your parking brake. When I did it I heard a loud clunk sound. Also, if you remove the wheel and then try to spin the axle with your hand, maybe you will feel a rubbing resistance at one point in the rotation.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

brett25....thanks...will check it out when i get 2 seconds of spare time....hope it's an easy fix.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Its not difficult to pull the CV joints and repack them. Its just messy. While your in there check the parking brake adjuster and the inner and outer wheel berrings. I have always heard that CV's clunck though.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
I have experienced the same type of issue with my rear passenger side wheel. Although, it's more like a frictional rubbing than a clank. The culprit i had thought was a bad CV joint (im saving up for new rear axles and CV joints to make sure they're going to last a long time) but it turns out the rear brake rotor is warped! Wow, good job sears brake install...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-06-2003, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: