Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question for Todwick

How the heck do you get to the speed and reference sensors?? I'm asking you, because you seem to have hands almost as big as mine. Do you have to remove stuff, or can you squeeze your hands down there?

Others, please feel free to respond as well.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I took mine out when I had my motor out. I honestly don't know how people can fit their hands down there to remove them. I am sure someone has though.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 05-04-2003, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I usually go in with a long set of needle nose pliers (11 inch)

It is a crap shoot - sometimes they come out, other times they have siezed themselves in good and tight.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-04-2003, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I take out the bracket that holds the connectors, unpluging the conn. first. Then I use a 10mm socket to remove the TDC sensors bolt, (I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with two 6" ext. on it, but any sixe would prolly work) I then turn and face towards the back ot the car and wriggle my hand down so that I grab the sensor like I'm palming a b-ball. Take the oil fill cap off, it'll make it easier (but be sure and not drop anything inside!). twist the sensor one way and the the other, and then twist the other way while pulling up on it. twist each way while pulling up untill it pops out. Then I use a 10mm short wrench and unbolt the other sensor and pull it out using the same technique.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I have also used the long long needle nose pliers (harbor frieght carries some cheap ones that work well. orange handle.) or a pair of "hose pliers" (Also harbor frieght, also orange handle). Depends on how old or brittle your sensor is.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

To All:

Thanks for the replies - looks like this is going to be a case o' beer operation. Maybe I can find an emanciated gay guy with long fingers and skinny wrists who can reach in there!

I'm really beginning to miss carburators and points ignitions!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

wot?...points?

and these sensors we're dealing with are in some very old Porsches!

Early '85 944
Old 05-05-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OLD??? Why, I tell you... I remember when these cars were new!!! Even my '67 VW convertible, the '73 TR-6, and the '77 X-19 and '77 Harley Cafe racer was purchased new!

Dad-gum young wippersnappers!

FYI - when points failed, a matchbook cover and your girlfriends fingernail file were all that were needed to get going again.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I wish I could read his response but I can't find my glasses...when my 'meals on wheels' volunteer comes by I'll have her type a wisecrack reply

Early '85 944
Old 05-09-2003, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: