Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heater Core Leak????

I think this could get UGLY!!! I left New Orleans early Sat. morning and drove to Pensacola, about 3+ hours of driving. When I got there I reached over to pick up some things I had on the floor of the pass. side and they were all dripping wet with ANTIFREEZE! Looks like my heater core sprung a leak... UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Its odd but I never smelled it at all. I got home Sunday by driving with the coolant cap loose so no pressure could build up but now I'm faced with fixing this mess. Anybody done this little chore? Pointers? I'm tempted to just take the chain saw to it right next to the firewall... I could just take the heater core out of the coolant loop but this A/C will flat freeze you out even on the warmest days. Never mind about winter.

I haven't seen a heater core out before (I came over from the dark side - had a '68 911L) so I'm wondering if it is repairable or do I need to start a search for a new one? If this turns out to be as much work as I think it is going to be, I don't think I want to put a used one back in.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Haynes manual. I've never even heard of the heater core going bad on these cars.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

"I've never even heard of the heater core going bad on these cars."

I sure would have been happy not hearing about it for a few more years, too.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

What is this heater core you speak of? I can't seem to find it on my 911.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
What is this heater core you speak of? I can't seem to find it on my 911.
Time for an update, then.
'86 951
Old 05-05-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Kurt, my 911 had something called a "heat exchanger" which also leaked, but not antifreeze. When I would turn on the heater the passenger compartment would immediately fill with a fine oil fog and mist My wife LOVED it I think it was a sinister factory plot to prevent rust Didn't work, though. At night in the garage with the lights off and after the roaches quit scurrying about you could still hear it - rusting.

A quick Google search of this topic shows that this is not a fun event in the life of a 944. I see some have been sold and/or parted out rather than fixed. Guess I'll wade in and see how deep it gets
Old 05-06-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck, bro
'86 951
Old 05-06-2003, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Todwic, thanks. I felt your pain during your rebuild - it ain't always fun but it is always interesting...
Old 05-06-2003, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944ThatCould
the heater coil fix for my uncle's 93 cavalier was 900.00. I cant even imagine what the cost for a porsche will be.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Its been awile since I read the procedure. If I remember correctly
it requires removing the dash and most of the stuff behind it. It could be a hose and not the heater core. With summer comming you could consider caping the heater hoses. This would take the heater core out of the cooling system.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

When I got my car the PO had "jumped" the lines going to the heater core so it bypassed it. I live in south florida so I have had no reason to try to see if the heater core was bad..

Just a note.. hope it helps
Old 05-06-2003, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I started to change the heater core in my G-ma-N-law's 88 Ford (%^@%Q%$%&*&!!!!) Taurus Wagon. took out the glove box, the ducting, vacuum lines, peed on a lot of stuff and found out (I bought the book to confirm this) you have to DRAIN AND REMOVE THE A/C LINES TO GET THE HEATER CORE OUT! I am soooooo pissed off at it. I tried many, many different ave. to remove it, all thwarted by this and that. For your sanity's sake, I hope it isn't at all like this. I am a changed, touched man now
'86 951
Old 05-07-2003, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I did the same w/ my son's Cherokee and I swore NEVER AGAIN! Guess this is what I get for swearin... I've decided that as long as I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right. This is too nice a car to part out over something as stupid as a heater core, but I reserve the right to change my mind. Just got a new (to me) dash with no cracks from a yard in Kansas. What troubles me is all the little rotten brittle plastic pieces that are going to break. I took the instrument panel out last night and the air ducts need a ton of JB Weld. They have broken with just normal use, so I'm sure many horrors lie ahead.

I still haven't seen a procedure for this job, just one to remove the dash. Does anyone have such an animal or know where one is posted? I have read the one for the early cars but this area is quite a bit different on the later ones. I suspect Todwic is right and I need to go have the R-12 recovered while I can still drive it but I don't want to if it isn't necessary.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
well, here ya go:
  1. Drain A/C system
  2. Drain refrigerant
  3. remove fresh air blower
  4. remove center console
  5. remove inst. panel
  6. unclip inst. panel wiring harness
  7. disconnect plug
  8. disc. plug at int. sensor blower
  9. pull out airducts
  10. pull out drainage hose
  11. unscrew A/C lines
  12. remove vac. lines
  13. unscrew refrigerant hose
  14. uscrew fastening nuts on the outsice (4)
  15. unscrew fastening nut on the inside
  16. uscrew bracket for inst. panel
  17. run out heating/ A.C. unit
Note: during installation, make sure to re install the water drainage pipe.
'86 951
Old 05-07-2003, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rats! Looks like I get to do everything I really didn't want to do afterall (like open up the A/C). I guess this is just going to be a royal PITB. The chain saw option is lookin better all the time.

Well, here goes. Shouldn't take me much more than a month... Todwic, thanks for the procedure.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Had the same problem on my '91 S2... and drove last winter without the heater. But when decided to replace damn thing, it took me only two days. The hardest part was removing the dashboard - no comments! And you don't have to disconnect/discharge A/C.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
It's only the procedure out of the factory manual.
'86 951
Old 05-08-2003, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

That's good news. Think I'll try it w/o discharging the A/C - if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Old 05-09-2003, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: