Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
"Prestigious" Cars???

My boss at work said something strange to me the other day. I wasnt sure what to make of it. He called my car "Prestigious" And he wasnt kidding. He knows what I paid for it. He knows I do most of my own work. I just like the ride.. I am not driving it because its a "Porsche", whatever that means...
In your opinion, is a 944 a "prestigious" car? Why or why not?
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I get the same thing. People think i'm rich or something just because the car has PORSCHE written accross the back. The worst is when people try to rip you off because of the car name.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
I second that.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Loser

I agree: it gets very annoying, and gets to the point that I think "I'm gonna just sell it and get a ford ranger,"(until I drive it again)
Old 05-05-2003, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Overkill,

Great pictures, the car looks great. However I notice you don't mention that the engine is held together by Bondo?

Yours (tongue in cheek),

Mark
Old 05-05-2003, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

. I would say yes. Most people see the word Porsche and think speed and money. While this in not true, most people would not figure that out themselves. In addition, a nice looking 944 or 924 is... Really Nice. They look good, they sound good, and are fun to drive. You don't 'notice' the fords and hondas in the lot at the golf course, or the resteraunt, or the school. Would a date rather be picked up in a nissan or a Porsche? If you had a shop and wanted to park the best car in the spot by the road for the customers to see, would you park a toyota or a Porsche? People think they are cool.

. I was recently at the Porsche dealer on the eastside (Barrier), and they the usual 986s, 911 Gt2s, and Cyannes out front, but they also had a 944 down on the end of the Front Row. That says something. So yes, deserving or not, our cars are prestigious, and I am not complaining.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ive taking to just referring to the car as a 944, unless they ask what make, so i can avoid the "YOU drive a porsche?" routine.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by yo mama
ive taking to just referring to the car as a 944, unless they ask what make, so i can avoid the "YOU drive a porsche?" routine.
I hear all of that.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
well i think it is a prestigious car, but not in terms of value. It's a driver's car, it has a niche market, and it is desirable to people that appreciate drivers' cars. It gets respect from people who are in-the-know.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-05-2003, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't tell people it's a Porsche unless they ask what a 944 is or they call it a Mazda RX-7. Then and only then will I pipe up and say. It's a Porsche not a Mazda.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 05-05-2003, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I disagree, CJ. When I took my 944 back to Arkansas, people thought I had hooked up with some computer company, found gold, or became a celeb. The only Porsches that we knew of in Russellville were owned by Jack Lowery and his son. One pink and one black. (Jack owned what was the only theatre in town, and he was a queen). They flat out didn't believe me that I bought my car for $2800.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Because the majority of parts for my car have VW or Audi analogues, when I go to a parts shop I usually say that the part has a VW # such and such, because their eyes kinda glaze over when you tell them you have a porsche. Cheap stores like Schucks and napa anyway.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Two schools of thought on this one.

If you are in the "inner circle" (meaning you own one) they aren't that big of a deal.

To the "outsiders" all they see is the crest and all they hear is "Porsche" - and all it means to them is fast cars and big bucks (or drachmas, pounds, dinar etc) Admit it, consciously or subconsciously, that is part of the reason you bought one to begin with.

It creates an interesting paradox, I can sell my car to an "outsider" for around $5k, wouldn't think of charging more than $3.5k to someone who knows the cars. Someone familiar with the cars is looking at a completely different set of items (yeah, your belts were done, but how bout that rubber clutch?) vs someone that never had one before ("engie runs good, and you seem to have maintenance records, could you tell me about this timing belt I keep hearing about?")

My 2, YMMV

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-05-2003, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
My 2 cents.

I bought my work in progress for a whopping $500.00 had it towed to the house and been working on it since (9 months).

The same person who sold me it now also has a Mazda Miata he wants me to take for the same deal $500.00 and tow it out.

The thing is, I didn't think twice with the 944 but, with the Mazda I'm still contemplating. again for about 4 months.

See, it's like this, a Porsche is a Porsche. If we have to explain they will never understand anyway. yes, the Porsche is "prestigous" and that is why we have them whether we purchased them new for big$$ or saved them from the bone yard for no$$. I would rather tinker under the hood of the 944 then go for a drive around the neighborhood then just drive the Mazda and look like a midlife crisis doofus.
has never left garage (yet)
Old 05-06-2003, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_944S2
Hi Overkill,

Great pictures, the car looks great. However I notice you don't mention that the engine is held together by Bondo?

Yours (tongue in cheek),

Mark
Maybe because the ****ing car isn't held together with bondo!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
"I would rather tinker under the hood of the 944 then go for a drive around the neighborhood then just drive the Mazda and look like a midlife crisis doofus."

Or a girl. Seriously, dude, a Miata?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-06-2003, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
When I tell people I drive a porsche it is usually followed by..."I paid $800 for it." Then if they still seem interested I tell them about how it wasn't running and I've rebuilt it.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

When I went to get my rotors turned they asked me from what car,
-It's from a 944.
what kind of car is that?
-A porsche.
Then I got the special porsche treatment right after +$$$$
But still, even though i'm not rich in any way or work as often as I would like I'm glad it's running good and feel proud for making the right choice. My first car a Honda, it's a whole different experience in the 944.

-Gus.
pictures
Old 05-06-2003, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Arrow

We are living in a name brand conscious culture. So you can bet your apples that the sound of "Porsche" is prestigious Personally I don't care about this image. I am planning to remove the Porsche logo/pinstripe below the rear tail lights. The only tags left will be the turbo script and the front crest.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
When I took my 944 back to Arkansas, people thought I had hooked up with some computer company, found gold, or became a celeb.
But Todd you ARE a celeb.!
At least to us
Old 05-06-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: