Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Starting Problems

I have searched but haven't found much on my situation. I am having intermittened problems starting. Lately my '944 won't start at all, and prior it would take 3-8+ attemps to get it started. The fuel pump fuse blew. I replaced it, and the Fuel pump relay. Still not starting. Where should I go from now. I have reconnected all of the ignition wires and still nothing. Also the battery is new and has a green light showing it's good. I am in the AF, and although not much more than a few years of car maintenance experience I can fix mechanical and electrical, and electronics of $200,000,000 aircraft, so I have the skills. Please give me your insight.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just a guess but if you are blowing the fuse my guess is the fuel pump is drawing too much current. Test the output of the fuel pump.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I agree with roger. A little more input would be helpful. Does it
  • spin freely during cranking no spit/sputter?
  • crank hard, no spit/sputter?
  • Sound normal during cranking w/ spit/sputter?
  • Almost try to start, but doesn't?
  • once started, does it idle fine? what if you unplug 02?
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll give those a shot, and listen better to the sound or have some one outside listen to for the fuel pump. Fuses however have only blown once or twice in about 6 weeks. They don't go all the time. This morning it started after a few attempts. Last night (cooler outside) it started immediately.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try to disconnect the temperature sensor before attempting to start. If it starts straight away then the sensor may be broken. Disconnecting the sensor tells the engine management that the engine is cold and the engine management will use appropriate mixture. So there is no harm doing this subject you reconnect the sensor after starting the engine.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
I was just going to post a similar prob. Here's my story:
I hope I don't sound too much like a dunce, but I could use some help. Friday I washed my early 85 944 (trying to stave off the weekend showers), and decided to take the extra step of cleaning the engine with a standard cleaner and fresh water rinse. It initially seemed fine, but after developing some fits it has stopped working altogether. It turns over but does not start. On checking, it no longer gets any power to the coil on start. I have since removed the intake and throttle body, and checked the connectors at the AFM, throttle position switch, and two speed sensors (I haven't found the connector for the TDC sensor). I haven't swapped out DME relay yet, as I assumed somthing had got wet with the wash. Any ideas before I have it towed to a nearby shop? Thanks

Louie

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-06-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Typicaly its water inside the distributo cap. take it off and dry it out a hair dryer works well.

I never understand this whole watering the engine thing. Water goes in the coling system.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: