Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Arrow Winner of the n/a to turbo conversion for the week

I've been doing some reading on this conversion and I just wanted to make sure I have it all straight.
1) Intercooler placement is a problem, so custom brackets will be needed. Same with the piping.
2) I would need to get a heat sheild for the brake boost and master cylinder (does a 951 have this?)
3) AC lines will be underneath turbo so they will require a heat sheild or removal
4) Engine managment (will my fuel pump work well enough to stop it from running lean?)
5) And I would need a supply tank for the turbo's cooling water and a pump.

Also, does anybody know of of somebody who has done the conversion or know of a site that has the swap documented? Anybody know a good place to find a wiring harness?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
and how about brakes and susspension to go with all that new found speed.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: Winner of the n/a to turbo conversion for the week

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
I've been doing some reading on this conversion and I just wanted to make sure I have it all straight.
1) Intercooler placement is a problem, so custom brackets will be needed. Same with the piping.
2) I would need to get a heat sheild for the brake boost and master cylinder (does a 951 have this?)
3) AC lines will be underneath turbo so they will require a heat sheild or removal
4) Engine managment (will my fuel pump work well enough to stop it from running lean?)
5) And I would need a supply tank for the turbo's cooling water and a pump.

Also, does anybody know of of somebody who has done the conversion or know of a site that has the swap documented? Anybody know a good place to find a wiring harness?
You may be able to get used wiring harness from Ebay or Parts Heaven. If you are looking for a new harness setup, this place sells them new for $750:

http://autotechplus.com/
Old 05-06-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The car will eventually get either 928 S4 brakes or 993 brakes when the funds are available. My planned suspension is JIC coilovers and Kokeln sway bars.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You will need SO much more. I've never seen a 944 w/a factory "like" turbo conversion yet, but heard of plenty. I'd say a few are out there.

Now to the questions, the intercooler shouldn't be too hard, if you're also doing a front end conversion... You will need a different expansion tank if you want to replicate stock 944 turbo cooling. You might need the engine support bracket also. The 951 does have a heatshield for the brake related components. I would think the ac lines would be in good locations, if not I still doubt they need additional heat protection. I would wrap the exhaust pipes and the turbo instead of trying to worry about protecting other parts from the heat individually. Even if so, wrapping the ac lines with a thermal insulator would be a better choice IMO than relocating or "heat shield" (s).
Ahmet
Old 05-07-2003, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How difficult would it be to mount the intercooler behind my front valance (no, i will not be putting a 951 front on it). I have found a good deal for a pretty decent sized after-market intercooler that I would probably use. I"ll probably just get rid of the a/c (I don't use it anyways). Are the motor mounts in the same place? Is there anything I'm forgetting?
Old 05-07-2003, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

$750 for a wiring harness????? You can get a SDS DFI for that.

As for an intercooler just get a big custom front mount and run your own piping, it's not rocket science.

As for the brakes and suspension, the 944 has pleanty as you are not increasing the weight of the car significantly braking from 120mph will still be the same wth 160hp as it is with 560...

Dont let the uninformed people who drop off their cars as the dealer say you are wasting time and money..

Look at the mustang turbo V-8 mustangs are a dime a dozen and last I checked Ford still hasnt made one...

Fuel pump get a warlboro gs255. More than enough pump for 550 to the wheels.

Need computer tuning? Add a mass air conversion from http://www.pro-flow.com/ for $500.00, get an MSD 6 BTM for boost retard, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

The hardest parts of a turbo conversion is the exhaust- turbo mounting with the waste gate setup.

The rest is easy.
Hey kid!!! That's a cute car, does your girlfriend know you're driving her Civic?
Old 05-07-2003, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

race4food, I like the way you think. But I will basically be just trying to get it in there with minimal upgrades (no money for it). However, the engine will go in with a custom intake, custom 3' exhaust, a BOV, and a boost controller (turn the boost down to help the life of my tranny).

IF I get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator will I be able to use 85 lb/hr injectures (will they hold 400 rwhp?) with a basically stock car? Anybody know how many lb/hr the stock 951 injectures run? How abouta stock 944?
Old 05-07-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i believe stock turbos run 34.5 lbs/hr injectors, dont know stock 944 n/a's. for 400hp you could use 55 or 65 lb'ers. stock 951s run out of fuel around the 300hp mark. I will be getting 55's in hopes of having two boost settings one at 15psi (over 300rwhp) and one at 20 (about 370ish).

As for your boost control idea, if you are on a budget just get a wg with the appropriate spring, and if you want control just grab a manual controller and then u can up it when needed. For 400hp the stock turbo fuel pump would be sufficient, you can also use one off a 928...
Old 05-07-2003, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
face it with tons of new speed, dont you think that thered be a chance that you would drive faster and more often than you did in the slower, or do you think that even thou you have mega hp your not going to use it. i think that youd be in fairytale land if thats what you think. no offense.
so....
my 944 actually jumps to 100 mph now and im damn glad that when im pushin on the brake pedal i know the big blacks, same as reds, are going to stop me and while im doing that stupid crazy fast speed i know that if a kid runs in front of me i can swerve gracefully instead of a rollover cause the 968 mo30 bars and suspension will be there. i have a lt1 in my 944 with 320 hp stock all the brake and suspension upgrades to match, gained 130 lbs over stock w a 48/52 weight ratio. been there and done that.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
opps just went back and saw the reply about doing upgrades. good!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have the feeling I will turn the boost up at times, but not normal driving. I have yet to ride in a car with better brakes than mine (I have yet to get much fade, and trust me, I've tried). There's no way I'll go over 140 with it as it is (tires are only speed rated for 130). Also, the next mod will probably be A LOT of suspension work (sways, coil overs, strut tower braces), and then shortly after I hope to get brakes. I'm also too inexperienced of a driver to be making too much hp right now. When it goes in I think I'll only want to make 200-250 rwhp. I will flat out say, this car will be too fast for a irresponsible driver, but I've also learned my lesson in that area. There's a time and a place to have fun, main street rush hour is not the time nor the place, but an EMPTY coutry road or an EMPTY parking lot is also the time and the place.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Geese you guys kill me... try a #3300 car with 360 to the wheels with 12" brakes.

It runs 11.90's and will out stop the average performance car..

You really under rate the stock 944 suspension. If you are that worried you need driver improvement and not car improvement.

#55 injectors will support right at 350 rwhp at 14psi, #62 or 65 will go to 400 at 20psi.

Forget buying ANY fuel pump with a porsche name attached to it
call summitt racing and get a warlboro GS255 that is the high pressure and high volume pump and goes for $79-89.00 dont kid yourself they supply 90% of oem fuel pumps.
Hey kid!!! That's a cute car, does your girlfriend know you're driving her Civic?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

how much will the stock injectures hold for boost?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I was just looking at ebay and seen this 83 944 Rare Callaway TURBO 1 of 38 for sale.

I don't mind putting a Turbo in too.

Here is the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2413983085&category=6434

Here's some pics.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 05-09-2003, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
That's some scarry plumbing, but at least they used a flex joint...
Ahmet
Old 05-09-2003, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I like this superchager setup! I'm looking into puting a after market turbo in my n/a.

Here a Huntler Racing kit.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 05-10-2003, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I went from this:

Same Callaway turbo kit as Todd Holyoaks

to this:

altho I'm still putting it together as we speak.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Nice blower mark........

WHo did the polishing on your intake....? I am going to have it redone as well.....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 05-12-2003, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Polishing was done by Panther Precision Machine in Surrey. They are a wheel repair shop. There should be some in your area too.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: