Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Where is the radio antenna??

I just picked up am 87 944 turbo and it has a factory Blapunkt(?) cassette/radio in it. I get no radio staions in on it but have no idea where the antenna is....is there suppose to be one on the body somewhere or is there an internal or windshield one??
Thanks for the help
Jim
Old 05-06-2003, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The antenna is in the windshield.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
hmm... on my 83 i want to shave off the external fugly protrusion (aka radio antenna thingie). Is that possible? Because if it is, i'll save up and get an internal amplified antenna and shave the fugly outside one off.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-06-2003, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, it can be removed, requires a bit of creativity to fill the hole.

Will have to remove the dash to re-wire the antenna to have an in-glass antenna

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You could install the same type of antenna the Passat uses; on the roof behind the sunroof panel. Looks kind of cool....
Old 05-07-2003, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
If you can't pick up any radio stations, then perhaps your winsheild has been replaced sometime in the past, and a version without an antenna (made for the early cars, I guess) has been installed. It is quite a bit cheaper than the version with the imbedded antenna.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 05-07-2003, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
Groovy. I wonder, if when i take my car to a place to have the little chips and dings fixed, if they can fill it for me. OR if i use leading/filler compound they can match the paint area...

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Yes, it can be removed, requires a bit of creativity to fill the hole...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-07-2003, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
our windsheild=expensive. My car has a new windsheild on it with an external antenna. I think it's one of the most fugly things I've ever seen, therefore I want to take it off, but my dad is a poopyhead and won't let me
Old 05-07-2003, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Pull the radio out of the console.

Attached to the antenna wire you should see a smaller black wire. This is the power lead for the antenna amp. This lead should be plugged into a +12 volt source.

Also, the antenna is embedded into the windshield. The wire from the windshield enters the passenger compartment through a rubber gromet just below the windshield on the passenger side in the area of the battey box.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ya know, I have thought about a VW type roof antenna on my 83 (stock really is dated and Fugly).

If you look in the wiring diagrams/body sections of the "holy porsche historical documents" I believe there is a stock setup for cellular phone antenna dating back to the late 80's. Looks very similar just smaller.

Might try the vw ant. shaved to more of a posterior angle.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: