Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
600mi Oil change

Update:I just changed oil in my newly rebuilt 2.5L and she's still running great. I am assuming that some metal "dust" is customary because of all the bit seating in and breaking in. Pulled the filter apart, and there was a suprising abount of Misc inert in the media. I thought I had gotten the motor spotless Any way, no wierd noises or anything else: so far so good.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't hear any mention of synthetic oil.I know it costs a lot more but it is worth it in the long run.Not sure what the American market is but Mobil 1 or a synthetic Havolin is what is commonly used by the agents here.Costs me R55/litre =$7.51. I know you use American gallons not imperial so you can do the arithmatic. The owners manual talks about changing oil every 15000km (9375km) I think it was.Is that what you guys do.I understand an oil change shortly after a rebuild but I am sure it is not every 600miles.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Recommended changing oil 500 - 600 miles after a rebuild - lots of dust and the like from the parts seating together. afterwards, you can resume the normal 3000 mile cycle for regulkar oil or 10000 miles for synthetic.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-07-2003, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Glasson
I don't hear any mention of synthetic oil.I know it costs a lot more but it is worth it in the long run.Not sure what the American market is but Mobil 1 or a synthetic Havolin is what is commonly used by the agents here.Costs me R55/litre =$7.51. I know you use American gallons not imperial so you can do the arithmatic. The owners manual talks about changing oil every 15000km (9375km) I think it was.Is that what you guys do.I understand an oil change shortly after a rebuild but I am sure it is not every 600miles.
Unless you're putting the car on a track or the car is air-cooled or otherwise sees high oil temps, there's no real benefit from synthetic in the real world.

Is synthetic superior? Absolutely, it's clearly better. But in normal street applications regular (3,000 mile) drain intervals with a quality dino oil and a quality filter are more than adequate. I'm not saying that Synthetic does not have any advantages, I'm just saying that in a liquid-cooled car that is not modified or otherwise stressed there really isn't an advantage in the real world. My last car had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it and the completely original engine (original internals, new alternator and water pump) wasn't losing any measureable amount of oil between changes and it was simply given regular oil every 3,000 miles.

That said, I would not consider anything other than synthetic in an air-cooled car like my 914, mainly because of the thermal characteristics.

Also, it is generally not recommended to use synthetic oil during the break-in period.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 05-07-2003, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Recommended changing oil 500 - 600 miles after a rebuild - lots of dust and the like from the parts seating together. afterwards, you can resume the normal 3000 mile cycle for regulkar oil or 10000 miles for synthetic.

AFJuvat
Really? I felt bad because I run Mobil 1 in my Hyundai and I stretch the changes to 5-6K miles is that okay?

I have to put Castrol 20-50 in the 944 until I get new seals.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Quote:
I have to put Castrol 20-50 in the 944 until I get new seals.
I've been using that for the last 55,000 mi I have changed it once or twice though

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 05-07-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I'm letting the engine break in with dino juice, I will switch to Mobil 1 when I change oil at the 2000 mi mark. I hadn't heard whether or not to use syn. during break in, but I did feel that the extra slickness of it would not allow my engine to break in properly.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Use synthetic on new (rebuilt) engines all the time. (just sticking to factory specs)

It is more a matter of preference - syn will last longer But I have never seen any real benefit between dino juice and synthetic on a daily driver

heard stories of synthetic running 20 - 30k miles with regular filter changes - could not bring myself to do that though

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Use synthetic on new (rebuilt) engines all the time. (just sticking to factory specs)

AFJuvat
I've noticed this being done more and more with modern engines. Porsche's factory fill is synthetic right now, isn't it? Most of the mechanics I've got around here are more traditionalists so they haven't embraced synthetic in a new/rebuilt engine yet. Personally, I don't see the point in spending the entra money for synthetic if the oil is coming out in 600 miles. Then again, as I said before, I'm assuming gentle use and not severe service.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 05-08-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
least common denominator

I run Syn in the Hyundai cause...
A. I beat the heck out of it (commuter car)
B. Get better gas milage.
C. Keeps engine in great condition (better resale)
D. I sometime get busy and forget to change the oil.

I have also heard the syn will hold up for 10-20K miles, but the oil holds most of the dirt in the engine so it is best to change it more often than that.

Last edited by scottmandue; 05-08-2003 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-08-2003, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: