Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Retensioning the timing belt

My belt was changed about 1000 mi ago.

Does the timing belt need to be removed when it is retensioned? What is a ball park cost a shop would require for retensioning?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i never got it redone. if it's done right the first time then you should be fine. the shop that did mine does Porsche 944 timing belts for a large chunk of upstate NY. i asked them about retensioning and they said something to the effect of:

"you can do it and we'll do it for you... but in all the years we've been doing these we have yet to see one come back in that we did just to need retensioning because it was off"

i've owned many interference engines other than the 944. never did i need to get any of them retensioned. our previous owners of our 944 had the car for a decade and they never retensioned the belts either.

good luck!

obin
Old 05-08-2003, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
It is really easy to retension the belt, nothing needs to come off except the belt covers. I just did mine the other day and it probably only took about 10 mins to do that actual adjusting part.

From what I have heard, most shops that do the initial belt replacement/tensioning will either do the re-tension free, or do it for a somewhat cheap cost. I have not had my belts done at a shop (done them myself) but I could not see it taking more than an hour max.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx

Last edited by afx; 05-08-2003 at 12:22 PM..
Old 05-08-2003, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I recommend getting your belt tension checked after 1,500 miles

They can get lose. When I checked my belts, the balance shaft belt needed adjustment.

In the SF Bay Area, it costs $100 to have them checked.

Karl.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's a procedure to tension the belts:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-10.htm

Karl.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Tensioning /Retensioning= savings of between 1200.00 to 2500.00 in replacement valves, heads and head gaskets
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 05-09-2003, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
right Gordo. cost to retension is about $100, to be done after @1500mi after the first replacement
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

According to my previous factory trained Porsche tech, the advancements in belt technology make retensioning a thing of the past and the factory no longer deems it necessary. With all the folks here, though swearing it is necessary, I do not know if it is paranoia, a waste of one hundred or so dollars or makes perfectly good sense. I think it is an individual's call...If the $100 buys peace of mind, then have it done. If the belt breaks, though, remember it will be difficult to prove the mechanic did anything wrong. How does he (or she) know whether you took the car out every day and flogged it to 6k over and over again. The defense of a mechanic is questioning how the engine was treated....

(Previous tech because I moved 2000+ miles and it is rather unhandy to take the car to him anymore!!!!)
Old 05-09-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
My shop said pretty much the same thing as Obin's, but I was cautious and asked them to look at it anyway after about 1500 miles.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 05-09-2003, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Rennlist Member :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Obin Robinson
i never got it redone. if it's done right the first time then you should be fine. the shop that did mine does Porsche 944 timing belts for a large chunk of upstate NY. i asked them about retensioning and they said something to the effect of:

"you can do it and we'll do it for you... but in all the years we've been doing these we have yet to see one come back in that we did just to need retensioning because it was off"

i've owned many interference engines other than the 944. never did i need to get any of them retensioned. our previous owners of our 944 had the car for a decade and they never retensioned the belts either.

good luck!

obin
Who did you go to? I'm about to get mine done & want to know where to take it. (I'm from either Rochester or Syracuse depending on the weekend).
Old 05-10-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Scootin..

My tech was located on Bennington Drive in Roachester. I reaaly miss the guy..never overcharged and anything he did lasted!!!

Wish I could find someone like that in Tucson......
Old 05-10-2003, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Rennlist Member :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Moneyguy1
Scootin..

My tech was located on Bennington Drive in Roachester. I reaaly miss the guy..never overcharged and anything he did lasted!!!

Wish I could find someone like that in Tucson......
Was it Eksten Autoworks?

Gotta make an appointment to get mine changed out...
Old 05-10-2003, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I think you are right..a little shop on the side of another building just a few hundred feet from Dewey Avenue on the south side of Bennington. Good folks....
Old 05-10-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: