Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Alas, Finally Running !

Wow, did I have a great night!

Hung the exhaust back up,filled the cooling sys w/distilled water, crankcase w/ castrol synthetic 20/50and charged up the bat.

I first turned the key to on and oh boy lights, the o-press guage @ 0,fuel pump buzzing away, turned on a/c switch and voila cooling fans a spinnin. And I'm gettin excited as a teenager ready to do it for his first time.

I let the tension hang so as you could cut it with a knife. I turn her over, and by god fires right up. After a few minutes the sticky lifter shuts up, idling smooth @ 900. I am crawling all over looking for leaks and finding none! The smoke in the garage is getting thick as all the stuff is burning off the engine but I don't care I am in my own little world. As cars drive by they slow down and look at this nut in a cloud of smoke doing the happy dance.

After running a while then turning off,on,off,on,off,on she never failed and only a few minor probs.

1.) cooling fan relay is toast the "V" guys in miami sent me the wrong one and one that isn't even used to boot.

2.) When I increase throttle then release the rpm drop below 900 then jump to 900. In other cars I worked on this was a dashpot adjustment. On this car no dashpot so I will have to read up on it.

3.) the oil "idiot" light is working as it should flickers @ idle a little bit goes out when increase throttle. Oil press guage pegged all the time. Will replace sending unit

I have to go outa town for a couple a weeks and can leave now with anticipation of returning and finishing the engine and tidying everything up so as to move on to the next part (front end) then interior. Man, am I a happy camper!

has never left garage (yet)
Old 05-09-2003, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Cooling fans: check the fans themselves to see if they are binding up - they trap moisture and sieze up.

RPM issue - that seems to be the infamous early 944 "shudder" - lots of data on this in the archives.

Oil pressure sender - 15 minute fix - will need a 24mm crowfoot and a 10 inch extension to get at it.

Again, congrats!

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-09-2003, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rick, great news.

When you get time give us list of what you've done so far to your $500 project P-car (so far...these projects never end do they)

Early '85 944
Old 05-09-2003, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, it is easier to say what I did not do.

Open hood, and I did not replace the following:

Block,pistons,crank,flywheel,conn. rods, oil pan, expansion tank,
afm,intake,master cyl.,alternator,A/C,clutch(yet),and oil pump.

The front sway bar and connector arms are out waiting for me to install bushings.

Will be ordering the short throw shifter kit.

This one's for O'kill. I saved all the receipts!

I have a new project coming! When I return from my bus.trip I will have that '90 Miata towed to the house another $500 project to be. (Ok, I hear ya, DOOFUS to be) But I may clean it up and sell it or my GF's youngest will be of age by the time I finish it or maybe start the project, depends how I feel about it.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-09-2003, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

sounds like Todwic's "undo radiator cap...put another P-car under it"

congrats !

Early '85 944
Old 05-09-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tom,

You're right!

Todwic started his about the same time. I followed his posts religously and he gave me advance warning what to expect.

AF is a lifesaver(mine) FR and his website a major influence and of course all the posties, and can't forget O'kill a study in what to avoid.

Rick
Old 05-09-2003, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: