Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Where do these hoses go????

Here is the story....

Got an oil change last night.......at Canadian Tire (Pep Boys to you Americans). After the change, was driving home and this horrible super-loud "grrrrrrrrr" noise came about. Shut the car down immediately - noise was still there. Thought it was the water-pump (was coming from that exact area) - temp didn't move though. Started it and drove back to Canadian Tire (noise going all the way). Got there, pulled in the bay, noise went away. Obviously the fans (because it kept going after the car was shut off). Thought a blade was bad or something. Turns out they routed the power steering reservoir hoses out of the way to remove the oil filter - didn't put them back in the right place and one started rubbing the fan - making the noise.

When the mechanic who did the oil change came out - his face was white...he thought he screwed something up big time. He tied the hose up with zip-ties - but "figured" the only place this one hose could go was down beside the lower rad hose. He ended up tying it to the fan housing until I find out where the hose is supposed to be routed.

Also, one particular spot was very soft on the hose. He said it was due to it being routed against the lower rad hose before - I think it's due to the fan wacking off it for 10 minutes. Would heat from a rad hose make a PS res. hose hot enough to get "soft"??? Does the lower rad hose get hot or is it the top one? Should I make them replace the hose?

I need to know where the power steering reservoir hoses route to on the S. Can any S owners take a peek at theirs and let me know?

Thanks!

944S Boyeee
Old 05-09-2003, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

44 views and no replies?

Where are all the S owners??

944S Boyeee
Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Can't honestly recall off of the top of my head.

If you are close to a dealer, there is an updated PS feed hose. - a direct hose from the tank to the pump, no funny routing. AE1969 just installed one.

Make the Canadian tire place pay for it - the hoses can get a little soft, but not that soft.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-12-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
First off..... *****SLAP*******

944Sboyeee..........what are you doing taking that car to canadian tire.

I am amazed they found the drain plug..........and I am wondering how tight they torqued that drain plug, cause I dont think they know what a torque wrench is????....

If you would of seen them pull out the impact to tighten your drain plug that would of been the first clue.........

I am confused as to what hose the fans hit???

Sure I would make them pay for the hose..... but I would not let them put it on the car .......

Which hose?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/Pic39.jpg
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 05-12-2003, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
here's a tip of advice:

DO YOUR OWN OIL CHANGE

you'll wind up in the same situation i was. a Drain plug that was torqued on at 120 ft/lbs and possibly worse (you got worse with the poor hose routing job). I shall never, ever entrust my vehicle to a non-certified porsche mechanic. And even then, only one that i know well enough to trust my car with. because about now, my car is my life.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-12-2003, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ae - the only reason I took it there was because they said if I bought the oil there, the charge for the change was only $15 - plus I knew the guy doing it. I had an oil filter already (bought a bunch at once), so it was a good deal. Also, I knew they had a lil' plastic devise they built for upside down oil filters to drain into, so I knew I wasn't going to have a messy oil spill all over the bottom when I got the car back.

I made sure I wrote down the drain plug torque setting and I wrote it on a piece of paper and stuck it to the oil filter.

From the diagram - it looks like #28 hose (is that two pieces?). I think it was routed behind the oil filter and down to the pump before. When they removed the oil filter, they put the hose back in front of the filter, thus making it closer to the fans and it must have moved enough to hit the fan. The "soft" spot as hardened back up - I think it was very, very hot from the fan hitting it - I'm surprised it didn't cut it. The fan tips are all black and gunky from hitting it.

944S Boyeee
Old 05-13-2003, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: