Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question what's it worth? 944 engine knocking bad

New to the 944 board, I've been over on the 914 side for years.

Went to look at a 1987 944. The car seems in good overall condition, but the engine is knocking real bad. The seller seems to think a crank bearing went bad. Said it just suddenly lost oil pressure and made it home. He said he started it again the next day and it started knocking.

Possible options are rebuild motor, replace with used motor. Can the oil pan be dropped to replace the main bearings or must the motor be pulled and crank removed? I could Chevy it but that would cost as much as buying a decent 944.

Are any of these options worth doing on a 16 year old 944?

Thanks for any advise...
Old 05-09-2003, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Need to pull the motor, can't replace the mains w/ the engine in(unless if you remove the tranny and clutch assembly). You can rebuild your old one, with a cleaned and prepped used crank, usually one rod, alot of cleaning of the old components to flush the metallic out, new cam followers or good used set(they trap metallic flake). If buying a used motor, just replace the rod bearings, nuts, pan gasket, rear main while it's out, refresh the front seals, replace the oil filler o-rings, at least the t-belt, rollers and waterpump on disgression. I have an '87 motor available if interested, may be going down to a race soon at TWS or TMS, could easily haul it.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What if it's just a rod bearing, could that be replaced without pulling the motor? That's what I mean't to ask. That would be more likely to cause a loud knocking than a main bearing. Really academinc though. The correct way to fix it would be to remove the crank for refinishing and new main & rod bearings.

Any guide lines for repair costs and what the car might be worth in it's current condition? It seems a good car except the bad motor.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the knock was very faint, then possibly yes. Since he drove the poor thing w/o oil pressure and the car is actually knocking, then no. The crank will have to be pulled to undersize it, and as mentioned the metallic has been circulated. I've seen a few cars where the rod bearings have just lost there little "catches" and spin, both the rod and cap were fine and w/in spec. The cranks too were w/in spec. still polished and not ovaled or egg shaped. These motors only had very faint ticks from the bottom end.

Price depends on mileage and options.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I actually cleaned my lifters out, but it's not recomended.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
regardless, I wouldn't give im over $500 for the car.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Re: what's it worth? 944 engine knocking bad

Quote:
Originally posted by odie

Can the oil pan be dropped to replace the main bearings or must the motor be pulled and crank removed? .

Are any of these options worth doing on a 16 year old 944?

Thanks for any advise...

I just did my con-rod bearings and I did it without taking the engine out. I just let it drop on jack where I had still enough room to get that crank out. I had to use over size bearings (.25mm). I feel very sorry you have to do this job. It's the worst jobs I ever did. It's hell! You're not going to believe what things you have to take off just to get that crank out.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 05-09-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You took the actual crankshaft out w/ the block still in the car? Seriously?
Old 05-09-2003, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

$500 is definitely underpriced, if it's in nice shape, under 100K miles, it's worth more for sure, at least a grand if not $1,500. sheez the tranny alone is worth $500.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Re: what's it worth? 944 engine knocking bad

Quote:
Originally posted by odie
buying a decent 944 ...Are any of these options worth doing on a 16 year old 944?
dunno if that question would've been asked if the car 'prestine'

Early '85 944

Last edited by carsontc; 05-09-2003 at 04:20 PM..
Old 05-09-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
You took the actual crankshaft out w/ the block still in the car? Seriously?

Well the block was about 2 1/2 feet under. I did it like this.

Red = Jacks
Blue = Engine

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 05-09-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The car is by no means pristine. If it was PERFECT I would have bought it on the spot and worried about the motor later.

It's just a clean 16 year old car but with the expected flaws and wear. I've owned a few older cars and motorcycles. What I've found is PARTS IS PARTS. 1980 car parts cost the same as 2000 parts. So does interior and body work. But making a 1980 car look like a 2000 don't make it worth the same as a 2000. Cars depriciate, labor rate and parts costs don't.

Looks like $500-1000 is about the average this car is worth, assuming I will spend some coin to make it a driver. What's my time worth? Am I in the ballpark here?
Old 05-09-2003, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: