Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ornery Bastard

Help a complete idiot with a clutch job, please.

I started working on my car (1987 924S) late in the day on Saturday, needed to put a new clutch in. Working all day Sunday and evenings since I have only managed to remove the exaust. (Sat and Sun were spent grinding off rusted exaust bolts.) I have been working on dropping the transaxle since Monday, got all the bolts and crap out by Wednesday, and have been trying to drop it but I can't for the life of me get the transmission de-coupled from the driveshaft. Lord only knows how I'll get that shift rod guide tube out of there.

Any advice on this part of the process? Both Haynes and Clarks Garage gloss over this part as though it's brain-dead simple and then go on to elaborate stuff like disconnecting the shift lever which actually was brain-dead simple.

I need to pull the transmission backwards to de-couple it. To pull it backwards I need to lower it. To lower it, I need to de-couple it. It's a friggin' infinite loop and I can't figure it out at all.

I was going to give up and just throw it back together and take it to a mechanic, but my normal mechanic can't get to it for at least two weeks (and he isn't very interested in the job) and everyone else whom I've called refuses to touch it since I have my own parts.

Long story short, I'm locked in now. Taking it to a mechanic won't save any time, but I still can't get that damn transaxle off. If I could get that out, the rest would go right away I'm sure.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 05-09-2003, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pull off the wide trapezoid shaped rubber transaxle bellhousing cover on the bottom side of the drive tube section, the same w/ the circle one. You'll see two allen head screw on each end of the coupler. They might not line up to access them but once you rotate the driveshaft it shouldn't be a problem. You can do this by having a friend press in the clutch and you can rotate it by hand. Once the two bolts are removed it will simply slide back on to the transmission side input shaft. You may need to use a big screwdriver to pry it back.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
...to add to that....

you have unhooked the shift rod linkeage at the stick shift and at the tranny....

Keep going you are so close.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 05-09-2003, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
Pull off the wide trapezoid shaped rubber transaxle bellhousing cover on the bottom side of the drive tube section, the same w/ the circle one. You'll see two allen head screw on each end of the coupler. They might not line up to access them but once you rotate the driveshaft it shouldn't be a problem. You can do this by having a friend press in the clutch and you can rotate it by hand. Once the two bolts are removed it will simply slide back on to the transmission side input shaft. You may need to use a big screwdriver to pry it back.
Done that, it won't move. I've tried pry-bars, and shims to spread the coupling and it still refuses to slide. Well, not refuses to slide, but it only slides about 3/8 of an inch in either direction and that's not nearly enough to disengage the shafts.

And for ae, yes the shift rod linkage is unhooked.

I know I'm so close, but I've had my father out there and a guy who has been working on cars since long before I was born, none of us could get that coupling to slide. At this point the project is just taking up too much time that I need to spend finding a summer job so I'm going to bite the bullet and hire the work out. Re-connected the CV's and the bellhousing today so that I can roll the car onto a trailer and get it to my mechanic's on Monday.

Thanks for the help guys though, I do appreciate it. I'll get this next time around. And there's plenty else for me to futz with. In a week or so you'll be having to deal with my questions on replacing a speedometer.

Aaron
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 05-10-2003, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
Once the two bolts are removed it will simply slide back on to the transmission side input shaft
they were removed and not just loosened a lot, true?

Early '85 944
Old 05-10-2003, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
Hey bro if you have not removed the bolts from the coupler then the coupler will not move, there are cuts made to both of the drive shafts to prevent the coupler from sliding, also make shure that you move the coupler all the way to the back before removing the trans axle mounting bolt to the rear bell housing otherwise you bend the driveshaft as the trans hangs from the coupler, also remove the locating bolt for the shifter over the left rear side of the trans and seperate them, after this remove the bolts on the front of the torq tube and slide back your shift rod and torque tube remove the front clutch cover after removing the clutch pivot rod, you might have to put a bolt into this rod to pull it out, also use good 12 point tools IE craftsmen or snap on, so you dont foul up the 12 point bolt heads, you can prolly count on having to replace a few of these bolts due to messed up heads.. and use a Turbo friction disc, dont use the rubber unit, and after your done dont wash the rear portion of your engine unless you cover the 2 engine speed sensor holes, this will keep water from dripping into your new throw out bearing and clutch assembly... Good luck
Old 05-10-2003, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Patients, patients - hate to see you give up on your clutch job. I followed a procedure by Michael Kehr (do a web search). Use lots of penetrating oil, brute force and yes, patients. My stomach muscles were well toned after this job. Here's where we seperate the men from the boys. One further word of advice, if your going to stay with it, bag and tag all the parts, bolts, etc and make notes. It will make the assembly that much easier.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan Kolen
Hey bro if you have not removed the bolts from the coupler then the coupler will not move, there are cuts made to both of the drive shafts to prevent the coupler from sliding
You've got to be kidding me. Oh well, I've got that crap back together now, and I'm not in the right frame of mind to mess with that any more. I'm at the point where if I keep at this, I'll just get pissed off and start breaking things. I'm sure that you all have had those moments when you relise that it's not good for your state of mind to keep going even if you can still make it through eventually. I burnt myself out on this project. In the future I think I'll ask about this stuff before I'm a week into the project.

If the car weren't in someone else's barn and if the barn were a shop with decent lighting I might keep going, but I can't keep myself in the right place for working at this.

Aaron
Old 05-10-2003, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ah well, it happens - call it poorer but wiser next time. Agree that if you are not in the right frame of mind you can cause lots more damage.

Also, have the shop you have working on it ensure they put that coupling on correctly! If they reverse it, the bolt holes will not line up properly.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-12-2003, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Ah well, it happens - call it poorer but wiser next time. Agree that if you are not in the right frame of mind you can cause lots more damage.

Also, have the shop you have working on it ensure they put that coupling on correctly! If they reverse it, the bolt holes will not line up properly.

AFJuvat
That's exactly how I'm looking at this; experience gained. Hopefully the car will last long enough that it'll still be around when this current new clutch needs replaceing. I think by then I'll have more experience.

As for the shop, he's done these cars before, and his fixes stay fixed.

Aaron
Old 05-12-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Well think of the positive... you did learn a little

Now you know how to take off the CV's.....!!!

Don't feel bad..... last night I was fighting with dropping the crossmember to swap a motor mount..... when after a half hour, I realized the steering rack was still bolted to the U-joint.. hehehe

Live and learn...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 05-12-2003, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
Well think of the positive... you did learn a little

Now you know how to take off the CV's.....!!!

Don't feel bad..... last night I was fighting with dropping the crossmember to swap a motor mount..... when after a half hour, I realized the steering rack was still bolted to the U-joint.. hehehe

Live and learn...
Oh, I'm not down about it. As I said, experience gained. And what's the big deal that everyone has with the CV's? With the exception of removing the rubber plugs from the transaxle, removing the CV's was far and away the easiest thing I did!

Things are almost always backwards like that for me.

Aaron
Old 05-12-2003, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: