Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Ha Ha Villification!!

I was riding with a friend in his Jeep tonight through downtown bristol, and saw something that made my night:

These two Civics, one of them a hatchback painted bright friggin orange with useless vents in the side panels and a huge wing on the back (roof?), and the other a red CRX with garish UNPAINTED front and back spoilers were pulled over by a SQUADRON of cop cars.

These two particular Civics have been especially worrisome over the past couple years. THey are notorious for tailing anyone that dares to drive any slower than 15mph over the speed limit, and they are, to be blunt, a bit of a local joke.

I am guessing they were pulled over for driving MUCH too fast on busy public roads, because it looked like the guy driving the hideous orange thing was getting arrested.

Ahhh that felt good.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-09-2003, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
sweet!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
My neighbot has a last gen. 200zx n/a and I saw him and a cavalier pulled over one day. I had a good laugh at it
Old 05-09-2003, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've noticed something about ricers I've seen. Why do they bolt those freakish front air dams/splitter/squirrel-catching air scoop monstrosities on their cars, and leave them unpainted?

Nevermind, I'm trying to apply logic to ricers.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Its modern non extensionalism
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 05-10-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Guy I play softball with is a cop and he says he goes out of his way to pull them over for traffic stops, he loves giving them "defective vehicle" tickets so they have to be smogged and pass inspection again.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 05-10-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
hahaha AWSOME!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944ThatCould
*shakes head*

I'm going to get flamed on. Most/all wont agree with this.
This a Open board so I state my opinion.

Rice...

To most "rice" is anything that's not a big block v8. This theory is a little different on the Porsche board. Some people know the true meaning. Most don't care. I still call this ignorance. These "kids" you always refer to as the stupid and tasteless ones are only learning. This is a part of growing up. Picking on them gets you no where. I seriously hope that karma catches up with those that take part in this. Its not their fault that they spent less money to go faster than most of the 944 N/A's. Not to mention that these things barely get out of their own way.

I happen to like seeing underglow every once in a while. So, these cars aren't to regulations. Its not your problem. I must have missed the meeting where everyone decided that picking on the other enthusiasts. Why, Because their taste/style is different? Last time I checked that was called racism. Not everyone wants to do the same kind of driving. I conclude this to point out the people that just need to grow up.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R
Guy I play softball with is a cop and he says he goes out of his way to pull them over for traffic stops, he loves giving them "defective vehicle" tickets so they have to be smogged and pass inspection again.
the system works
Old 05-10-2003, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 944ThatCould
*shakes head*

I'm going to get flamed on. Most/all wont agree with this.
This a Open board so I state my opinion.

Rice...

To most "rice" is anything that's not a big block v8. This theory is a little different on the Porsche board. Some people know the true meaning. Most don't care. I still call this ignorance. These "kids" you always refer to as the stupid and tasteless ones are only learning. This is a part of growing up. Picking on them gets you no where. I seriously hope that karma catches up with those that take part in this. Its not their fault that they spent less money to go faster than most of the 944 N/A's. Not to mention that these things barely get out of their own way.

I happen to like seeing underglow every once in a while. So, these cars aren't to regulations. Its not your problem. I must have missed the meeting where everyone decided that picking on the other enthusiasts. Why, Because their taste/style is different? Last time I checked that was called racism. Not everyone wants to do the same kind of driving. I conclude this to point out the people that just need to grow up.
1. as i understand it rice does not have to do with size/number of cylinders, if so minivans, trucks, and ferraris could be called rice?
2. "Its not their fault that they spent less money to go faster than most of the 944 N/A's" if they did spend less money to go faster i would commend them, instead they spend more money to make a sedan into something its not
3. i think its more like rivalry between fans of sports teams than racism (since a ricer can be any race)
4. i agree that car enthusiasts are car enthusiasts and in real life i try to treat any enthusiast i meet the same untill they give me a reason not to.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:

Some people know the true meaning. Most don't care. I still call this ignorance. These "kids" you always refer to as the stupid and tasteless ones are only learning. This is a part of growing up. Picking on them gets you no where. I seriously hope that karma catches up with those that take part in this. Its not their fault that they spent less money to go faster than most of the 944 N/A's. Not to mention that these things barely get out of their own way.

Technically I agree with you,

although I think racism is inaccurate (some of you English majors help me out here) I think racism is pre judging a person by there race right? Seeing as automobiles that some people would categorize as "ricer" are owned by people of many different races I would call this behavior stereotyping.

Kind of like "all Porsche owners are rich snobs" would be stereotyping.

There are some intelligent hard working folk out there with tastefully modified Hondas who are good drivers.

However, hardly a day goes by that I don't see a car with primer gray wings, scoops, and flares flapping in the wind.

Also if you consider that you can pick up a nice 944 N/A for $3000-$4000 and some of these kids spend that on the SOUND SYSTEM in their car!

And yes we live in a free country so YES you can paint your car any color you like and add all the hip little gadgets you want... as long as the modification don't make the car a hazard to the public, then we do have a problem.

Can I have a Amen?

Last edited by scottmandue; 05-10-2003 at 01:36 PM..
Old 05-10-2003, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
least common denominator

And I love when we blather on about the "definition of rice"

Rice is what I had for lunch with red beans, mustard greens, and corn bread! Nothing more or less.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Haha...just last night I saw a whole GROUP of ricers, like 12 of them, pulled over at a gas station. They were near a road that is rather well known to us young'uns for drag racing, so I'm almost positive that is what they got picked up for. Maybe I'll call some cop friends and find out:-P

HAHA...it was funny..

Slow~
Old 05-10-2003, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Re: Ha Ha Villification!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco

These two Civics, one of them a hatchback painted bright friggin orange with useless vents in the side panels and a huge wing on the back (roof?), and the other a red CRX with garish UNPAINTED front and back spoilers were pulled over by a SQUADRON of cop cars.

Large rear wing = 20 hp
less paint less weight = 20 hp
colored hoses under hood = 20 hp
3000 watt stereo sysem = 3000 hp

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Arrow

Roger hall has the "logic" right.

I usually think their sooped up hondas and toyotas (and i've seen old old 80's BMWs with this stuff) are cute toys. They're all forgetting one fact... They still have a crappy car.

Sure it looks cool, and i commend those that do an excellent job making their cars look good (no splotchy primer or mis-matched ground effects) but there is a limit. And too far is too far, sometimes. Sometimes I think the owners of these cars just dont know how a car works, or how to make it run better. Adding fiberglass flares and air dams do not make your car faster. Adding those rear wings in the back do not make your car faster. Sometimes lowering your car does not make the car handle better (ie: the common thing is to cut the springs here, or leave it with half of an inch of ground clearance). Adding "V-Tec" and "Type-R" badges/stickers (as well as some other ridiculous stickers) does not make your car faster. Adding a large and poorly mounted fart-pipe does not make your car faster.

Although, i do commend those that do their homework. Replacing their standard I-4 engine with a smallblock chevy V8 or a real V6, re-gearing their transmissions, lightening their chassis, replacing the suspension system... Even adding a different induction system and modding their chips for performance gains.

And every time they give me an "estimated" rating, because i do have friends that "rice out" their cars, i tell them "do you have a dyno test print-out to back that up?" They reply with "A what-out?".

But my biggest gripe is they are making their cars look like something they are not. Sports cars. They buy a freakin' commuter's car. It's made to go from point A to point B at or under a certain speed and RPMs. And they're pushing their poor little 1600cc I-4s way way too far. And the worse part is they try to race anything. Put pinstripes, a tail-styled wing and flashy colors on a stop sign, they'll try to race it! It's absurd.

And what makes it all the better... They still, can't even beat me in a shoddy 1983 944 N/A.

I guess some just have to learn the hard way. *sigh*

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-11-2003, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Don't know who I stole this from, but it shows the sticker idea:
http://pcad.dyndns.org/rice.html
It was someone off this board I think

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 05-11-2003, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:

So picking on people who rice their cars is racist?

Hah. Thats classic. I mean, when people compare Porsches to rice burners and refer to them as jew burners, I can see where that might be offensive or taken the wrong way, but just picking on someone who rices out a perfectly good car is not by any means racist.

If you can't pick on ricers, the terrorists have already won...

-S
-
- Web Master & Used Part Guru From
- www.stuttgartparthaus.com
------------------------------------------------
Old 05-12-2003, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Sternn - any reference to Rod and Todd is damn funny, especially when the "baby Jesus" quote is used. Kudos!!!

I think a few people are missing the point here....it's not so much the wing, stickers, etc. that make ricers "annoying" - rather, it's the "attitude".

I actually had a guy in a S-U-P-E-R Riced-out Neon (single wiper, all-white car with white window banner so big there is only like 15% of the window still showing, fart can, spoiler, splitter, muti-stickers by the door, V-tec sticker, AND Type-R sticker, shiney plastic wheel covers, painted drums, etc., etc.) come up to me at a local coffee shop and say, "What's up with that fake racecar???". I've run into him about 60 times on the "strip" where I live, and he will not go any faster than like 40 klms/hr. I've even somewhat baited him. I see him "racing" all his buddies in Civics, etc - but he calls my car a "fake racecar"???

His "attitude" is that his Neon is ACTUALLY a better car than mine (and most everyone else's also). Sure it may be the best car to him, but logic must kick in at one point, no?

This "attitude" doesn't just flow thru the veins of "ricers" - don't forget the poor folk out there who can't even afford to Rice their cars. You all see them - those guys who drive Gran Torino's with duct tape over the back lights to make it look like "european lights". The guy who drive a Chevy S-10 with the Glow-in-the-dark steering wheel cover from Wal-mart. These people cannot really be called "Rice" in the true sense, yet they still act like they are driving a freakin' Rolls Royce.

It's the "attitude" that gets me. I mean, if I had a 500 pound girlfriend (and truely loved her), I wouldn't parade her around town like Cindy Crawford "showing her off" to all the other guys who's girlfriends are somewhat hot - even if I loved her more than anything in the world - there is a limit.

It all boils down to why Ricers actually "Rice" and we all know the answer to that. I mean, come on - most "ricers" are smaller, meaker guys who obvioulsy are doing this in hopes of landing a babe. Ever see a Ricer who looks like Tom Cruise? We all know these ricers somehow obtain said women (we see them in the cars with them). I'm guessing the girl the "car" attracted is most likely the first real taste of "being cool" these guys have seen - thus the correlation between "getting some" and "Rice".

If we could stop the women who put out for Ricers, we could end this pathetic "manly-type" display from clogging up the streets.

.....then we must do something about women who put out to Muscle-car drivers. We can stop by taking away their hairspray and Acid-washed jeans!!!

I jest - but the reality of the matter is we drive Porsche's because of the same reasons other guys drive certain cars AND because they are fun to drive, handle awesome and perform like a sports car should. Eliminate the latter, and we see the truth as to why Rice exists......women! We all know the stickers, banners, wings and such are just Ricers "displaying their feathers" - but don't act like a Peacock when in reality, you are a pigeon.

944S Boyeee
Old 05-12-2003, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
I'm not so sure that what these kids are "learning" is going to get them anywhere. From what i've noticed, most "professional ricers" have all that gunk on their cars and most of it still isn't functional. Those guys are in their late 20's early 30's and are car nuts, no matter what make. Problem is the teenagers see all this and don't know what's actually going on and just imitate the look.

I can't say i like watching ricers get pulled over more than say a beat up old celebrity, but as the same i just like seeing ugly junk on the side of the road (and not tailing me)!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
i saw the coolest black primer neon with leopard interior at a drive -in
in k.c. on truman road...killer stereo with 2 young dudes being so cool all slunk down!!!! way cool!! just like me and my buddies as kids in my 56 oval window,sidneys and winsteads, 1968. all he had on me was air conditioning, heat, wipers that worked, seats that moved, 12 volt system, and that leopard skin interior. wow!!
i think they do it for the same reason i did it, GIRLS DON'T KNOW THAT STICKERS, REVERSE RIMS, LOUD EXHAUST ETC DO NOT EQUAL h>p>
Old 05-12-2003, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: