Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Angry Washed my Engine Ch. 2

Ok, Ok, some things you learn by doing, some you learn from others doing. Hopefully you will all learn by my folly. I had a Friday off so I washed my early 85 944. I had a can of engine bright in the garage so since I had some time I figured what the heck. Squirt Squirt, rinse rinse. Run the engine no prob. I had to run to the store so I figured it would help dry the motor out. On the way back it almost stalled and every time I stepped on the gas the engine would just start to pick up and then drop back off to idle. If I kept the pedal down it would just throb between around 1500 and 1000 rpm. If I turned off the ignition and started it up again it would work normally for about 30 sec. I let the car sit for a while and then started it and let it run for a while thinking there was a wet connection somewhere. An hour or so later it seemed to be working fine. I went out to dinner in town (just a couple of miles) and on the way home (two blocks from the house) it died for good. We were able to tow it to the driveway, where it's sat for over week. I removed the throttle body and intake boot and used 'dry wire' spray on the connectors for the two flywheel sensors, the TPS and the AFM. I popped off the distributor cap and whew! I've never seen a rotor like this. I wish I could upload a pic. All the plastic around the contact edge is burned or melted away. In fact there ain't much metal left either. I assume I got water in the cap and it shorted out something fierce. I replaced the plugs, the cap and rotor, used di-electric grease on all the plug connections, the connectors I popped apart before, and swapped the coil with one I had removed at a previous tune-up, but still no start. Engine turns over fine, but no kick. All the fuses look fine, could it be a relay? Could the damage in the distributor have affected the plug wires? If I don't figure it out soon it's off to a shop, and more bucks for my faults. Thanks

Louie

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-11-2003, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

are you getting spark to your plugs when cranking?

Early '85 944
Old 05-11-2003, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
I did the same thing to mine, its so terrible, never wash the engine w/ out covering anything. I seem to have gotten away lucky, my car still runs well, but there seems to be some minor issues w/ it still
Old 05-11-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What's the easiest way to check for a spark? I have a multimeter, do I check the voltage coming from the plug wire while cranking?

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-11-2003, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can buy a gap meeter at the local auto parts store $3. One end is an aligator clip that you conect to ground. The other end is a screw that the spark plug wire conects to. Just adjust the screw to find out how strong your spark is. I admit its kinda a stupid tool but its easy and quick.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I'd suggest... cover over anything that might be an exposed electrical connection, or anywhere you suspect a weak connection is. I reccommend using silicone sealant on some of your parts that you dont intend to open up (like the sensor on the airbox with the pop-off cover, i silicone sealed that). and also also also use dialectric grease liberally on your plug connections. it stops water from getting in there and ... well, causing issues like so. You can also put a thick bead of dialectric grease inside the lip of the distributor before attaching it to prevent moisture from getting in there.

Just a little trick i learned from my old VW. Because when that thing got dirty back there, i had a pressure washer in my hand asap.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-11-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
I just cleaned my engine today ...same thing happened kinda. I took out the cap and rotor and cleaned all the little connections with a knife ..car runs 10 times smoother now. Just put a trash bag over where your going to get stuff wet.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 05-12-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Ok so I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and coil (the wires look fine) and car still won't run. Used dry wire spray on all the connections I could get at and after drying, gooped in dielectric grease, as well as on all the plug connections. Still spins with no kick. Couldn't get the damn DME relay out, so I picked up a spark tester to see if power was going to the distributor. There's spark, but it looks totally random and erratic. I'm pulling the speed reference sensors tomorrow to see if they've picked up metal particles, and then I'll try it again. This sure is the hard way to learn how my ignition system works.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-12-2003, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: