Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How Fast? @ 100, 200, 300 yards?

OK I got a speeding ticket.

I was told I was doing 56 mph from a standing start in less than 100 yards.

This was with a magic radar gun that can look around a 45 degree corner.

So I had to turn a corner, accelerate to almost 60 then stop at a signal in a 1/4 mile while the cop was accross a four lane throughfare with a full width median, trees and several steel direction signs for the freeway over pass/bridge/signals I had to stop at (behind three cars).

This is where the 45 degrees comes in. Thoses that can do the math will realize that anything approaching you at 45 degrees is going considerably faster that it's speed toward you. For the cops radar to read 56 mph while I was 45 degrees from him I had to be doing in excess of 80 mph! Not bad for a 100 yards!!!

What can your 83 through 86 944 do in a hundred yards? Two hundred yards?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you going to fight the ticket or just let it go as is?

-Gus.
pictures
Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You should fight every ticket, it's you're right to a trial by your peers. Plea bargains, and reduced sentances are just revenue collection systems for the municipalities.

Even if you don't win the case, at least you tried. And if you are extra lucky the officer will not show and you will get a dismissal.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 05-12-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by rbt944
Are you going to fight the ticket or just let it go as is?

-Gus.
As the "bail" is $153 I am going to rip the motor cop apart!!!

This is obviously a load of crap the cop wants to push off a bad ticket on a "Porsche".

He screwed up in several ways. One is he wrote in an intersection for the stop that is on the left side of the throughfare 50 yards from were I turned right. In other words behind me and on the opposite side in the opposite direction of taffic as I turned right onto the throughfare.

I think he had written this in prior to filling in the rest of the ticket and well before he even lifted his radar gun. A clear violation of California's speed trap laws.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 05-12-2003 at 11:04 AM..
Old 05-12-2003, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
At 220 yards (1/8th mile) I got my car to just slower than 60 miles per hour, this was with dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm, and shifting to second faster than lightning (don't do this at home, kids).
56mph in 100 yards is diablo territory I want a ride in that car!!!

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 05-12-2003, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Once I had a cop testify saying he was @ full throttle on his BMW motorcycle through 3 street blocks to catch up to me (and according to his testimony I stopped at the light for each, and he pulled out within 5 seconds or so of me). I had 2 witnesses also, but the judge still decided I was guilty (reckless driving).

Fight it if you can, but they can be pretty biased. Ofcourse I didn't have scientific evidence, but I'm pretty sure my 944 (non turbo) won't outrun a police issue BMW motorcycle!!! Sometimes they'll just make you pay the random state tax, ahem I mean the speeding ticket so you're encouradged to drive "safely" (since fining somebody after the fact really makes the situation safer)...
Ahmet
Old 05-12-2003, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Fight it.. Most cops are a-holes.. period
Old 05-12-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I got pulled over in stone mountain park.
Doing 40 in a 30. It was funny, as I was in the car with my little bro and 2 friends (tight fit). We went like Christmas Eve or something like that to look at the lights (boredom). We got behind a Mustang doing about 10mph. Speed limit was like 25, so I was getting ticked. Not to mention, one way road, no way in heck I would be able to pass. After about 5 miles of this (getting ticked) it opened up to two lanes, I passed, gunning it, and going over a hill. I said "Watch, there will be a cop on that side of the road when I get over the hill." So I lifted off the gas. Yep.
6 police cars at least by the time I was through.
Warning.
Gotta love it :P
Btw, I keep that warning in the car with me at all times, just 'cause.

Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 05-12-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
If I remember correctly from my court ordered DMV safety courses, it's legal to pass in a no passing zone or a one lane road if the car infront is doing 25mph or more BELOW the speed limit.
Ahmet
Old 05-12-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thats pretty cool to know, but he was going about 15 under. Worst part is the other side of the road had barrier thingies, so if I passed, I'd have destroyed my front end

Old 05-12-2003, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Way to go SoCal and good luck at court. Some cops do what they are not supposed to and sometimes it's wrong that they get away with things. Hope that cop learns not to mess with the 944 community. Then he'll let the rest of us go easy

-Gus.
pictures
Old 05-12-2003, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
    There are several ways to fight tickets. lack of prosecution
  • Some states let you ask that the trial be held at the county seat if you live or work closer to the seat than the court that the officer put on the back of your ticket You must do this when the ticket is issued.
  • On the ticket may be the officer's vacation date. If it's near your court date, ask the court clerk for an extension till that day. Clerks often overlook the date of vac. and will schedule you when you ask. Your allowed one extension, up to 30 days, over the phone. As long as you have a good reason, you can usually get more than one extension, but you have to show up in court to get it. The longer you wait, the more details he forgets.
    And there's parts of the radar itself that you can pick apart
  • Radar tends to read the larger objects first. Was there a truck at the other stop sign?
  • Radar picks up rain or windblown objects. was it windy the day you got the ticket?
  • If the officer had the gun at his side, and raised it to clock you, the motion of his arm can add 8 - 10 mph to the speed. Ask him to demonstrate his technique in court
  • In traffic and engineering surveys must be updated every 5 years in order for radar to used legally to enforce a speeding ticket. The officer must bring an up to date copy of the traffic and engineering survey to court with him. The survey must have been conducted on the stretch of road that you were ticketed on. It's up to you to make the request.
    ask for...
  • The radar unit's calibration and maint. records
  • the officers radar training cert.
  • The tuning forks used to calibrate the radar unit and thier cal. cert.
  • The actual radar that was used
  • The agency's FCC license
  • List of models, makes, and serial #'s of all radar units being used by the agency
any inaccuracies in any of these documents will give you grounds for dismissal.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I'm getting an airiel photo of the block where this happened. The city decided in it's ultimate wisdom to photograph the entire city a few years ago and these are now avaliable for about $1 each. Cost of reproduction. This will be scaled and marked out showing that the angle on the radar gun was over 30 degrees which I find is the manufacturers max limit

There is also a block wall behind where I was traveling.

Brad, Do hope you didn't go out and abuse your car just for this! I sure didn't drag race during this episode but then I might have been a little aggressive. Still a four year old Honda Civic can beat Old Red off of the line!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Brad, Do hope you didn't go out and abuse your car just for this!
hehe... nah, someone talked me into a run at a 1/8th mile strip, thats where that came from, 10.7 sec kinda slow... lol

HAHA FRWilk

Old 05-12-2003, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Mapquest has ariels/sat photos free of charge. Digital Globe, too.
'86 951
Old 05-12-2003, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944ThatCould
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
    There are several ways to fight tickets. lack of prosecution
  • Some states let you ask that the trial be held at the county seat if you live or work closer to the seat than the court that the officer put on the back of your ticket You must do this when the ticket is issued.
  • On the ticket may be the officer's vacation date. If it's near your court date, ask the court clerk for an extension till that day. Clerks often overlook the date of vac. and will schedule you when you ask. Your allowed one extension, up to 30 days, over the phone. As long as you have a good reason, you can usually get more than one extension, but you have to show up in court to get it. The longer you wait, the more details he forgets.
    And there's parts of the radar itself that you can pick apart
  • Radar tends to read the larger objects first. Was there a truck at the other stop sign?
  • Radar picks up rain or windblown objects. was it windy the day you got the ticket?
  • If the officer had the gun at his side, and raised it to clock you, the motion of his arm can add 8 - 10 mph to the speed. Ask him to demonstrate his technique in court
  • In traffic and engineering surveys must be updated every 5 years in order for radar to used legally to enforce a speeding ticket. The officer must bring an up to date copy of the traffic and engineering survey to court with him. The survey must have been conducted on the stretch of road that you were ticketed on. It's up to you to make the request.
    ask for...
  • The radar unit's calibration and maint. records
  • the officers radar training cert.
  • The tuning forks used to calibrate the radar unit and thier cal. cert.
  • The actual radar that was used
  • The agency's FCC license
  • List of models, makes, and serial #'s of all radar units being used by the agency
any inaccuracies in any of these documents will give you grounds for dismissal.
Awsome display of knowledge.. I am very happy to see such detailed information when one is in need.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Mapquest's airiels are not as detailed as I want. but I will use any resource.

The points you make on police radar are good. Now throw in a bit of trig and you will find that the 30 degree angle (speed times (sine + 1) ) means a radar clocking of 50 mph is the car really traveling at 75 mph. At a 45 degree angle the 50 mph comes out at 85 mph! In simple terms it means you use a radar with in a 15 degree angle from the target vehicle or your reading is out of the plus-minus window allowed for ticketing.

You also don't aim the radar through trees and steel street signs.

At the ticketed 56 mph the 30 and 45 degree readings come out 84 and 95 mph! Coming at the corner the motor cops sit I would have had to hit these speeds in about 200 yards. Going away would have been 300 yards. But I would have had a real challenge stopping at the signal 60 yards later.

Like I said this is going to really hurt the motor cop and possibly all the tickets for that speed trap given for opposite traffic.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Bring all of this that you said up in court, take pictures of where you were stopped and where the officer was stopped, bring all of this to court, dress nicely , act humble and request to speak to the ada before seeing the judge, the ada will ussaully automatically lower the fine and the charge, all i can say is good luck, not sure how things work in CAL.
all the best-chris
Old 05-14-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I have the abridged 2002 CA traffic laws in case you'd like to peruse it. Did you know it's unlawful to start a stoped car on the side of the hwy? Pedestrians aren't allowed in the bicycle lanes?
'86 951
Old 05-14-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: