Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MichiganMat
Porsche Crest Need adivce on 944 turbo purchase

Hey all-

Ive got my eyes on an '87 944 turbo and Im not whether its worth the $6000 the seller is asking.

- Claims the engine was rebuilt but has few records. 137K miles on the Odo. No records of waterpump or belt replacment, assumed that it happened at the rebuild. Hes not sure when it happened, but it would've been around 100k miles.

- Just had a full break job at a dealer. New alternator, battery.

- He had it as a project car but has run out of cash to handle it. He bought it from daughters boyfriend (who claims the rebuild).

- Just had parts of the body primed and repainted, not sure of specifics but he says its all straight.

- No engine leaks, recently passed California smog inspection so I assume the engine is solid.

For 6k , its like 4000 off of the other turbo prices I've seen but Im cautious. Im looking for a project car so I can excuse interior and small body problems, but I dont wanna sink my account into simple maintenance (ie belts, rollers, seals, etc). Im excited about this car because its a turbo and I want the horsepower. There is clean '87 944 (with records) going locally for 5K but I wonder if the output will satisfy me enough to overlook a turbo (I suspect not, but I could be wrong). Any thoughts or suggestions here? I might go up and see the car this weekend if things sound solid. Thanks for your input in advance.

mat
Old 05-12-2003, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Find out where is was supposedly rebuilt, perhaps they have records. If no records I would hold out for sure. I have an NA, it's not that fast but good enough for me in the corners.
'58 Cessna 175 w/GO-300
'98 Scarab Sprint, 4.3V, 62mph
'92 Guards 968 (my girlfriend's)

Gone...
'82 Camaro Z28 1st car
'84 VW Rabbit Cabrio & GTI
'77 BMW 630 4spd sport bilstiens
'84 POS Cavalier- drove to junk yard
Old 05-12-2003, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Honey Badger

Unless he can come up with some proof the engine was rebuilt, I would pass. Ask him who did the rebuild, the shop may keep records.

Also what quality is the paint work?

If the seller has "run out of cash to handle it," what else needs to be done?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MichiganMat
When I talked with him on the phone he hinted that he had another car he was working on (an El Camino) and was going to focus on it. I got the impression that he was interested in actually restoring the 944 to its original state. He said that it had been broken into (through the sunroof) and had the stereo pulled out, and that the interior was showing wear. Some apolsery shop quoted him at 3000 for a restoration and I think he got scared. Says he drives it work 10/15 miles each way every day.

I'll try to get some more info from him on the rebuild.

( Somehow all of this actually sounded OK in my head, but the more I write, the crazier it sounds).

Thanks for the advice guys.

m.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Compression test?

Good readings wont confirm a rebuild, but bad readings will let you know that someone is lying.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If he can't prove, by documentation, a repair or a rebuild, they didn't happen.

Simple logic would dicatate that if you were to sink that much money in an engine you would keep reciepts.

Based on what you describe, the car sounds like more trouble that it is worth.

That or offer him 3 - 4K and take your chances.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-13-2003, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: