Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1987 944S2 parts into 1986 944 NA

HI:

Does anybody knows if there are any parts that can be used in a 1986 porsche 944 NA from a 1987 944 S2?????????? Im talking about wheel bearings, engine, axles, seats, rearhatch, cv joints, trans mounts, engine mounts, seats rails???????? I have a very nice 1986 944 NA without engine, and I found an S2 for parts sold, so Im thinking of buying those things.......anyone knows if they may not fit my 944 NA???????????
Old 05-12-2003, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
There was no '87 S2. Maybe you're talking about a 944S? IN any case, the S engine is 16 valves instead of the na's 8-valve. I haven't heard of anyone installing an S engine in an na, but I don't see why it can't be done. Seats are the same, as is the rear hatch and seat rails. Dunno about the trans mounts and engine mounts.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 05-12-2003, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

'86 is pretty much the same undercarrige as the early 944 and share the 23.3mm wheel offsets - so tie rods, hubs, axle half shafts, wheels are different than the 87 and later P-cars. the complete engine (AFM etc) & tranny will work but you'll need the 16v DME & engine harness, exhaust etc. I believe the air box could present a challange...

anyone else want to opin?

Early '85 944
Old 05-13-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
You can move everything from the S/S2 to the 86. Some of the things you would need to move completely at one time are the suspension part since they changed from early to late, as carsontc said. All the interior stuff will work with no problem. I think that that CV joints will only work with their respective engines. If you switch in the S2 engine you would want to swap in the tranny for it also as it has a stronger ring and pinion. You will also need to swap the computer in with the engine. It should be a pretty straight foward swap as long as you have all the parts that you need.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 05-13-2003, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips.....Then Ill have to use the whole engine DME harness, A arm , engine mounts, in order to install the 16 valve engine into my 944 NA......and the parts for the trans........what about them?????? does the axles fit the 944 NA transmition?? what about the piece that unites the trans with the torque tube?? is it the same??

TX again
Old 05-14-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

if it's only the engine & tranny you want, then I believe you just need to change the DME, engine harness (and related engine bits) and exhaust with it...I don't see why the mounts would need to be changed or the control arms.

and the 86 torque tube should be the same as the 87 S as well

but you can't just take out the 87 axle half-shafts or the tie-rod assemblies and slap them into the 86...the 87 stuff is longer, which is why the wheel offsets are different between the 86 and the later P-cars

and if you use the wheels from the 87 on the stock 86 suspension you will need the correct spacers

has anyone done this and have better info?

Early '85 944

Last edited by carsontc; 05-14-2003 at 05:34 PM..
Old 05-14-2003, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
the transmission will fit no problem, I have an S2 transmission off of an 89 in my early 85 na, it fit perfectly without any modifications.

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 05-14-2003, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: