Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

hot jet coating headers???

has anyone had their exhaust headers hot jet coated? Is that the correct term? Is it inside and out? Does it insulate the headers so the underhood temp is lower? Or is wraping better?

Where do you get it done? I am in KY so is there a place in the eastern part of US to get it done?

thanks for any info you can give me?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I used HPC for my headers on my Mustang and they do help keep the temps down. The coating is applied to both inside and outside. I highly recommend it because your headers will never rust and it looks great too! BTW, you run a risk of your headers rusting if you rap them.
HPC's website is:

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

Jet Hot Coating's website is:

www.jet-hot.com
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 05-12-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks mike, I think the headers on my 944 turbo are satinless steel, will it stick to them or do you know?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would lean towards not coating the ss, but someone else who has coated their headers needs to offer their .02.
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 05-13-2003, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

DO NOT DO IT if your car is a daily driver. a friend of ours has a Lotus Esprit Turbo and he had it done. after 2 years it looked like ass. it flaked off, and looked totally horrible. i took pictures of it. he complained to the factory and they sent him a refund. the pics are on my server. i can dig for them if you want me to.

obin
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Your headers already have asbestos insulation under their shields unless they've been removed.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm curious to which vendor the guy w/the Lotus used. I've seen several cars (no turbos) that have used it with it looking like a POS. My headers have lost the "new" look, but other than that, there fine. Even the spots where I had to do some on the spot engineering to clear the bellhousing hasn't flaked/chipped off.
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 05-14-2003, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i'll be seeing him in about 3 weeks so i'll ask him which place did the headers. if i can find his e-mail address before then, i'll shoot him an e-mail.

thanks!

obin
Old 05-14-2003, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

hey highboost951

they have insulation under the sheilds? I didn't know that. My car is bone stock and the shields are on it, never been off. Maybe I should just wrap the headers up on the top area over the the shilds to shield some of the heat. i am just trying to reduce underhood heat some and with the insulation under the shields maybe a little wrap over them will do what I want.
thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: