Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 85.5 Cooling fans, does this sound right?

On an 85.5 NA w/ AC. I just installed the cooling fans since my timing belt replacement. As soon as everything was hooked up, I switched the key to first position. Just then the fans started. When the car turns on, both fans turn on a little faster. This is with the AC off. Haven't touched the AC button since I have a leak in the line. It stays just below the middle mark on the gauge, a freshly bled coolant system with distilled water/antifreeze, and is about 70 degrees outside. Anyways..the fans do not run when the key is removed/off, and do stop when the relay is removed. Any insight on when the fans are supposed to run would be great? Also, I have searched Clarks Garage and the forums, but can't get the exact answers.
Thanx..
Greyson
Old 05-12-2003, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cant say anything for sure about a 944 but here is how my 81 924 operates.

Booth fans come on with A/C turned on regardless of temp guage reading.

Both fans are off untill temp guage reaches the halfway point then one fan comes on.

If the car is shut off and the temp guage is at the halfway point one fan remains running at low speed for a few miniutes.

I would guess when the fans were replace they were conected to the temp switch or switches (you may have two I am not sure) incorrectly.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is it possible to get the plugs plugged in backwards, yeilding a possible full time high spped in stead of the low speed? I will check it out tomorrow when there is daylight..
Old 05-12-2003, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The plugs don't switch. The fan runs constantly on high when the ignition is on/ or the car is running. Any help, because it's really loud and seems to be drawing current as well...
Old 05-13-2003, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Since the fans turn off when you turn off the car, I think your relay is messed up. Try swapping with another relay and see if fan operation returns to normal.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think you have two temp switches on your radiator eaisest thing to try is to see if you can swap the wires. However you are probably going to have to look at the current flow diagrams and trace the wires with a volt metter. If the wiring is conected incorrectly I would guess the A/C circut is conected so it is by passing the temp switch. Most of the time the temp switches fail in the open posistion meaning the fans wont run at all. It is possible that the temp switch failed in the closed posistion leaving the fans running constantly. I think that this would only affect the cooling fan and not the A/C fan.

81 924 N/A

Old 05-13-2003, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Hall
I think you have two temp switches on your radiator eaisest thing to try is to see if you can swap the wires. However you are probably going to have to look at the current flow diagrams and trace the wires with a volt metter. If the wiring is conected incorrectly I would guess the A/C circut is conected so it is by passing the temp switch. Most of the time the temp switches fail in the open posistion meaning the fans wont run at all. It is possible that the temp switch failed in the closed posistion leaving the fans running constantly. I think that this would only affect the cooling fan and not the A/C fan.
There's only one switch on the radiator...if it failed 'closed' as you suggest the fans would run after he turned off the car. They don't.

When the AC is used both radiator fans are turned on at high speed. It's also possible he's got a short in the switch for the AC if it's running with the switch turned 'off.'
Old 05-13-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It sounds weird, but how can I tll if my ac is running? I switched it on today and noticed no difference. Is it possible it's been running all along? Also, before I pulled the fans out last December, they had never switched on. After hooking them up yesterday...they ran as long as power from the ignition was supplied.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by PorscheG96
There's only one switch on the radiator...if it failed 'closed' as you suggest the fans would run after he turned off the car. They don't.

When the AC is used both radiator fans are turned on at high speed. It's also possible he's got a short in the switch for the AC if it's running with the switch turned 'off.'
One fan would continue to run if the ballast resistor was functioning properly. However since the system is not funcioning properly its place to start.

I agree with the A/C wiring being the cause. Since the fans were just removed I think it is more likely that things were conected incorrectly. A short in the A/C switch could be the cause but I usually look at the work I have just done before I troubleshoot other systems.

If the A/C is running the vents should be blowing air. It may not be cold if the A/C isnt working properly. You could pull the A/C relay to make sure it is not runing. Not sure where your sight glass is located, but on my 81 924 behind the left headlight there is a canister. On top of the canister there is a little round glass window. Its not much bigger around than a pencil eraser. You can see the freon running through the system. Unless the compressor is not working at all you should be able to see the freon flowing. Just look for little bubles if is charged and if its low there will be white froth swirling in the window.

81 924 N/A

Old 05-13-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Replaced my thermostat and fan switch with lower temp units. Flushed and bled the system and now the fans work as they should. Those snap rings sure suck though
Old 06-02-2003, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Congrats

81 924 N/A

Old 06-02-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: