Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

More emissions follies

Six tests and counting...

New problem. I've been using two stations, and their standards are different! Discovered this today. Last night's readings would have passed at today's shop. Today I didn't get the car hot enough before testing. I talked to the guy at the state department in charge of this crap. He said a new cat needs to get good and hot.

So anyway, he's looking into why the standards would come up different.

I'll test again in the morning after the commute. After last night's commute, the readings were low, but for some reason they had me against standards 500 points below any of my other tests. WTF?

I've completely gone through the vacuum system. The last two leaks were the fuel breather valve, and a small crack in the hose going to the wastegate.

This is frustrating. Especially since I seem to have a moving set of standards to shoot at.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hummm! sounds like crap to me I would go back to that shop and ask for my money back.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

He called me back.

He gave me the number and address of the DPS testing station. He pulled up all my tests on his computer while we were talking. (Kinda scary they can do that). I'm to go over there, and they're supposed to test against the real standards. I think I can turn in the paperwork to them for refunds.

The guys that tested it today will run it in the morning after the commute as a sample test. If it is running clean, they'll do the run as a keeper. They won't charge me for it. (After you fail a test you get an automatic retest free within 15 days, anyway) If it passes tomorrow, we're done. Except for trying to get some refunds for botched tests. Evidently the cat didn't get hot enough to work in the short drive from my office. The guy at the state office said that was common with new cats.

The results from last night would have passed on any test I've had, except their standards were way out of whack. The guy at the capitol had to admit I had a good reason to call him.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is it possible that those guys were failing you so the could charge you for repair work and parts then magicaly you pass after they have your money? It was definatly reporting to the state. You might also report them to the Better Business people (cant spell Bureau).

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Second new cat on the way. My test results this morning were within 10% of the first test - when I had no cat at all. At this point, what's it going hurt to bolt in a different cat?

After I get the new-new cat installed, if I still have problems, I'm going to have to cry Uncle. The mechanic I have always used is stumped, so I'll have to go to another shop that I don't know, and they don't know me. I'm seriously not looking forward to that.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
blow smoke in their faces
Old 05-14-2003, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: