Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question TPS Replacement

I just have a quick question regarding TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) replacement. I just took my car to a new mechanic to have my erratic idle troubleshoot. I was just curious on how long it takes to install/adjust the TPS. He quoted me 3 1/2 hours which seems like a long time just for a sensor replacement. Unless that includes troubleshooting time also but i could of swore he said 3 1/2 hours to install.

Would anyone happen to know if that time estimate is correct?

Thanks,

Kenne
91 944S2
Old 05-13-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The problem I would have making a recommendation to you is that I'm not familiar with the '91 S2 engine and what is involved in getting to that sucker. On my '87 n/a, with no more than a set of long metric allen wrenches and usual metric sockets, I think you could do this in 1 to 2 hours tops. You have to take off the air intake stuff starting from the air cleaner and work your way back to the throttle body but this is definitely within the range of the backyard mechanic for my car. We need some guys with your engine to weigh in with whether its twice as hard on your car. Could be but maybe not.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
that's way too long.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
It doesn't take very long. Disconnect the intake boot, take off the throttle body, and remove the sensor. If you have a good replacement just make sure it's adjusted for the full open signal iaw the Haynes book, requires a voltmeter. As long as you don't lose any parts in process it shouldn't take any more that two hours, but if your mechanic is giving you a work estimate that's a different story (they usually use a book to tell them how long each job takes).

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Kenne944 I just have a quick question regarding TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) replacement. I just took my car to a new mechanic to have my erratic idle troubleshoot.
Kenne, please let me know what caused it to idle so rough. My 951 , 1986 is the same. Thanks

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 05-13-2003, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

With some hand tools and some patience, you can replace this part yourself. (recommend digital camera and diagrams if you aren't familiar with the engine - will save you hours when it is time to put things back together)

A word on labor charges..

He is "booking" you for labor. (going by Chiltons or alldata for exact labor time) Sounds a bit high, but then again, depending on how easy it is to get to, 3 hours might be in the ball park (been a while since I worked on an S2, don't remember if it is up front or behind the intake)

Technically he is doing nothing wrong, some shops quote book and knock time off when it is finished - allows for the "$hit happens" factor - if something pops up, it allows you to use the time if you need it and not bust your estimate.

Others stick by the book and do not deviate - most will have 1 or 2 sources for computing labor. You aren't really allowed to exceed book labor for a job unless you can document other problems that need to be corrected. - at that point you are calling the customer and revising the estimate

Lastly, depending on the size of the job the shop can, at its option shave some labor time off - usually more inclined to do so for a good customer or on a big job.

Ahh well, turned into a dissertation on how and why shops charge what they do, I'll shut up now

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well i got my car back the idle is fixed and it runs alot smoother. Coupe the problem was the Throttle switch was bad. You can test it by unplugging it he is a link to a website that might help.

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=45&c=4

I wish i would of stumbled upon the TPS replacement article sooner i know i could of replaced and troubleshoot it myself for what he charged me. He charged me book rate, apprently he charges this for all jobs regards of time. I always thought it was the time it actually took or book rate which ever was shorter, except for those rare occassions. I think i'll be looking for a new mechanic.

By the way i MIGHT be selling my S2... I want a 968! So if anyone is interested let me know. I not 100% sure yet.

Thanks for the help.

Kenne
91 944S2
Old 05-14-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had the same problem, had it replaced and lost it again 6 Mos later. I just unplugged it then and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah....well...you see, we're putting cover sheets on the TPS reports now. Did you get the memo?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for that info Kenne. I'll do some checks, even so my idle is rock steady.

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 05-15-2003, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: