Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn
" Don´t start "

1984 automatic 944

Today I park my car and return 20 minutes later and the engine don´t start.
Any suggestions ?
Can somebody send me a copy of the ingnition system diagram.
hanks

Old 12-14-2000, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply.
My batery are on perfect conditions,
I have electricity in the coil but don´t have pulsations.
Old 12-15-2000, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

my 944 did the same thing. Everything would work (electrical) but it wouldn't fire. I could jump it off and it would start. I took my battery to a shop and they tested it and said it was fine. I didn't believe them, and bought a new one, and now she starts everytime.

Dave
Old 12-15-2000, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Eduardo,

I'm glad the problems from your other posts are fixed enough so the 944 got you somewhere.

If you checked for spark on the sparkplug wire, the rotor button inside the distributor cap could be bad. Some of these have what looks like black epoxy with some kind of electronic component. If there is a little hole, it is probably blowed. You can check the rotor with an ohm meter. I think they should check between 1 and 1.5 K ohms. If it is open it is bad.

If you checked for spark at the coil, it may be the Motronic computer no working. If you have a noid light, you can check the injector firing to see if this is it. If the Motronic is not firing anything it may not be getting power through the fuel pump relay. In your car, early 944, I think this is the 2nd relay from the door on the top. This sends power to the Motronic terminals 18 and 35. The Motronic or DME is under the dash on the driver's side. You should have battery voltage between either one of these terminals and ground with the switch on. The 944 relay has been superceded at the dealers with one with a 996 number.

If the injectors were firing, you can put a volt meter accross the two coil terminals while cranking. If the voltage is changing then it is probably a bad coil. If nothing, it points to the Motronic. Check that white 9 pin plug by the fire wall to make sure thre is a good connection on the green wire that goes to the coil.

If it is good, it might be one of the two sensors on the back of the motor that pick up off the flywheel. There have been recent posts on these.

I check them by ohming them and hooking them up, cranking, and see if I,m getting a small AC voltage. I have an old good one to replace one in doubt. Yours are probably set the right distance off the flywheel if it ran before quitting.

That green wire off the coil also connects to the tach and alarm, if you have one. Could be aproblem there.

I,ve been whipped by this so I'm in the process of putting a TEC II on a 944 I'm fixing up for my daughter.

Pelican has the wiring diagram for an 84 944 on their web site.

Good luck,
drew1
Old 12-15-2000, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Eduardo,

Car may have a neutral start switch. You might put a jumper accross it and try.

drew1
Old 12-15-2000, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey drew1, What have you been whipped by? And what is a TECH 2?

CH
Old 12-15-2000, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your answers.

The engine turns but not start.

Mr. Drew:

Thanks for your complete answer, Lamentable for me I don´t repair any problem in my car.
I don´t use the car, yesterday is my first day because I neeeded and the car fail.
I´m waiting for the parts, manuals.
When I have the parts I will go directly to Porsche México to fix it.
I receive too a very complete answer from james at pelican parts, tomorrow I post my experiences.

thanks

Eduardo C.E.
Old 12-15-2000, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi ch944,

Been whipped by a no start early 944.

A TEC II is an Electromotive programable engine management system. You may have seen some of their ignition systems on 911, 914, etc.

Their web site is Welcome to electromotive.com
Reckon thats right, copied it from favorites column.

drew1

Old 12-16-2000, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks drew1.

CH

Old 12-16-2000, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

ok, friends:

Today start the engine

Was a sensor (I don´t know the name of this ) that is on the crank or tell to the ecm the position of the crank, was oxide, a simple clean and the engine start.
Old 12-18-2000, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Porsche 951 Fanatic
Hey man.. glad you got it working.... ::smiles:: anyways i just have a Q if you get pics sometime could you please post em? thanks.. later
Old 12-18-2000, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It seems like everyone is having this problem. I guess I need to take mine out and clean them before I get a no-start problem.
Old 12-19-2000, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for letting us know the problem. Glad you got going.

drew1

Old 12-20-2000, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: