Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

924 suspension set up question

I need to put new struts on my 1982 924 NA next spring... I will be using KYB inserts and am thinking of putting 200# springs up front also. My car handles fine I would like to firm it up a bit. My question is, will I create an understeer condition by firming up only the front?? My car has no rear sway bar, only the front sway bar. Springs from a 924 Turbo, which I believe are firmer,but I cant be sure. The turbo springs, I believe, Have 2 green dots. Any way... anyone here have KYP struts with 200# springs and no rear sway bar?? If so, hows your handling?
Thanks

Old 12-21-2000, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

awilson40- I don't know how a 924 will respond to this treatment, but normally stiffening up one end of a car improves traction on the opposite end. The improved traction at the opposite end, comes at a price. That price, is reduced traction on the end you stiffened.

This is so because: stiffer suspension causes the body to roll less. the softer end tends to stay planted even more than it was before because the springs on that end are now loaded less. that is why traction is gained at the opposite end.

now for the part everybody is wondering about: why is traction lost at the stiffer end? well traction is not really lost at the stiffer end, it's the balance of traction that is lost. Since the softer end has gained traction, it has more traction compared to the stiffer end, and the stiffer end "breaks loose" before the softer end.

if you want to try it, go ahead. you're not going to hurt anything, but to balance the car back out, i would plan on geting a rear sway bar.

good luck,
Mike

[This message has been edited by mike944 (edited 12-22-2000).]
Old 12-22-2000, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

awilson40,

before you go and get KYBs for your car, hang on, i have a set of unused Konis for the front that are non-adjustable. i might be getting a set of adjustable Konis so i won't need my non-adjustable ones.

offhand, i'm going with 275lb springs in the front, and thicker sway bars in the rear. don't go too stiff unless it is a track car. your neck will FEEL the difference and you will know it VERY QUICKLY in a 924.

if you want to corner flatter.. stiffen up the back. if you want to reduce brake dive, and the nose lifting, then stiffen up the front. remember when cornering hard, the 924 will lift the front right (or left) wheel a tiny bit. don't stiffen up the front too much or your car will handle like crap. right now i have mine perfectly dialed in and it corners like a GTP. however when i do my new suspension in the front, then it will all have to be reset.

car setup is TRULY an act of patience. it will seem like the biggest pain in the ass getting it right, but once you do the results are marvelous.

i'm also in the midst of converting the 924 into a full-on track vehicle. i aksed a few race car drivers for some suspension and setup tips. i can forward those results over to you if you want me to ( just e-mail me and i'll send them over)

good luck!

obin

Old 12-22-2000, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: