Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ignition won't turn

i was on my way home from replaceing my tierods and stoped for gas. when i got into the car the key wouldn't turn.the wheel moves and it comes out of park and it looks like the key goes in all the way but won't move.please help if i can't get it to start i will get it towed(i am not leaving it overnight). i called a couple of locksmiths but they said either spray wd-40 or wait till porsche opens because nobody else would have the switch.

Old 12-30-2000, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mine did that occasionally, especially in cold weather. I gently jiggled the key in the ignition until it turned. Sometimes I had to completely remove the key. Once you get it home put some graphite in the keyhole. You can buy graphite in an alcohol solvent. The alcohol is used as a carrier to get it into the lock. Then it evaporates leaving the graphite. Do not put oil in it because you will worsen your problem in cold weather.

Another trick is to heat your key. It will warm the lubricant on the pins that are sticking and lining up properly probably because someone sprayed oil in it. As I said, don't put oil in locks.
Old 12-30-2000, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have to jiggle mine to, in and out a little jiggle again. If that won't do it you may need a new key cylinder or a good used one.
Old 12-31-2000, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Standard problem. If I turn my key to OFF and then try it again, it always turns over.
If your car's an automatic, it could be your neutral safety switch. (it prevents the vehicle from being started in gear) I had to replace mine on my Jeep. It got to the point where I could'nt start it in park or neutral. On a Jeep it's expensive, over $275! I have no idea how much it is on a Porsche.

[This message has been edited by 944Driver (edited 12-31-2000).]
Old 12-31-2000, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i am going to remove the ignition switch and clean it today,hopefully it will help.i ordered a new key for the car when i purchased it but it hasn't come in yet.the 2 keys i have are badly worn.do you really have to remove the steering wheel,ect or can you remove it from behind the dash?
Old 01-01-2001, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

On my 83 the steering wheel had to come off. There is a allen screw that holds the igition on the steering column accesed through a small hole in the dash. When you put it back together you have to have the key in it to keep the steering wheel lock retracted. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2001, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just be REAL careful with the clips that hold the turn signal, and wiper switches together if it's an early car. They break very easily. It's also a good time to clean the contacts in the switches also.
Old 01-02-2001, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

it's an 85.5. i had to remove the instroment cluster to reach the two allen screws that hold the ignition to the driveshaft. tomorrow i am bringing the ignition to a locksmith to hopefully be repaired. i ordered a tail light cluster and a sidemarker from porsche 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't come in so i really don't want to order one.

Old 01-04-2001, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: