Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

throttle response

ok, today i drove my friends honda prelude and i was a little impressed with how fast it felt . not so much its overall power but its throttle response . when i mash the pedal from idle in my 86 944 the engine dooesnt jump as fast. i know im comparing two different types of cars but i was wondering if there are anything such as an aftermarket electrical system out there that could help me with my throttle response on my 86 944 n/a

romeo
86 944
accell coil
europroducts chip
flowmaster muffler
k/n filter
no cat
bosch +4 plugs
throttle cam

Old 01-10-2001, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to porscheboi928s/c944t/n
I guess it is bec. ur car comes alive at 3g's rpm...
Old 01-10-2001, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Romeo, How do you like the Flowmaster without the cat? Mine is loud as hell, and I was just wondering if this is the same with yours. I think the throttle response is different because of the cam grind. A Honda Prelude was designed to get from point A to point B, reliably and with great gas mileage. Our cars were designed to get from point A to point B at a high rate of speed, with dead on reliability, and who cares about gas mileage. That's why the cam grind starts making power after 3000 RPM all the way to the RPM limiter.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

rev limiter, what rev limiter ;0)
mine is chipped. havent seen fuel cutoff yet. once while racing this guy on the highway (yess yall it was empty ) i dam near saw 7000 rpmin 3rd and 4th gear.

well anywhoo i have a resonator because it was mustang/z28withafreeflowexhaustcomeandgivemeaticket loud

the guy at the shop knew i would be needing one so he put it on for free.

what kinda exhaust you runnin?

i guess you guys are right abnout the cam grind because it seems that my car pulls just as hard on the highway as his does. i wish i could have a chance to run with him on the highway but he doesnt know the potential of his car.

it was funny cause i was explaining the engine and potential of his car to him and got a chance to demonstrate the 5500 plus rpm neccessity his car had for speed. you should havfe seen his face in the passengers seat as we hit 100 in 4th gear fast!

i told him if he was just gonna be cruisin around town he shouldve gotten a civic os vw.

and just as another comparison his car feels weird. the car sits low but you sit high in the chair. dumb.and the car didnt have that german solidness our cars are known for . i wouldnt wanna take a sharp turn in that thing. it didnt feel as stable as my car while cornering

layta
romeo
Old 01-11-2001, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I definately recommend the throttle response cam. You can get it out of Performance Products for around $30 and is easy to install. It does not add power, but provides a much quicker response. You will be very impressed with the product.

Old 01-11-2001, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I definately recommend the throttle response cam. You can get it out of Performance Products for around $30 and is easy to install. It does not add power, but provides a much quicker response. You will be very impressed with the product.

Old 01-11-2001, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, you should buy the throttle response cam. Again, the only downside is low rpm driving in first gear. i.e. coming to a stop at a red light, etc. You will definately feel the 'herky-jerkies'. I usually use a bit of clutch to help counter this effect. You guys think that's bad? I recently drove a Peterbilt 379 with a 550 hp Cummins with a similar pedal feel! Obviously heavy trucks have no low-end speed like a car, but see what it feels like when 1000 ft/lb of torque unexpectedly (and quickly) cut in on you!
Old 01-11-2001, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PrerYDoG
Okay, I hate to be the one to point this one out, but the very last line of his very first post where he is talking about his mods, he says he has a throttle cam.

So all of those suggestions guys, just don't cut it

On the downside, I have nothing better to offer.

Old 01-11-2001, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I'm big time against throttle cams...

I've typed up pages and pages, gotten in numerous arguments over this, but this time I'll simply (-re)state a fact:

If you mash the pedal from all the way out to, floored in .1 sec, it will make NO differance in how fast the engine will rev up. What it does do is change the "profile" of the response. It's basically more jumpy at about the first 1/3rd of the way.

IMO no improvement at all whatsoever! In fact, I wouldn't put it on if I had one. I'd even get a stock one if I bought a car with one of these on it!
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 01-11-2001, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have an 85/2 N/A with a throttle response cam. I have to agree with 1.2Gees in that performance is in no way affected by the throttle cam. I would also have to say that the throttle cam actually decreases driveability. My car car now be forced into a self-feeding oscillation at lower throttle angles in which the car bucks so badly that I can't even keep my foot still on the throttle pedal. The only way to stop the oscillation is to push in the clutch.

On the positive side, it is extremely difficult to heel and toe with the stock throttle curve.

So, to sum up my experiences:
Performance - no impact
Driveability - much worse
Heel and Toe-ability - much better

Old 01-12-2001, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: