Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Sucking noise....

Recently, when I have my 944 running, it makes a sucking sound. Like it has an aftermarket intake on it or something. As I give it more gas, the sucking gets louder. It doesn't always do this, once the car gets warm it goes away. What could this be? Thanx for the help guys.

------------------
Porsche, Through and through
Tim
'83 944

Old 01-12-2001, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Sounds like a vacuum line, if not (and hopefully it's not) a head gasket...

How's the performance?

Ok, what year's the car?

I think you have a loose fitting, specifically, only one place has direct vacuum control, dependent on temperature. The temperature actuated vacuum line switch(-er) is located right under the intake manifold, very close to the firewall. If I remember this right, it's open when cold, and closed when warm. Somewhat hard to get to, but once unscrewed, a little coolant will come out. See if you can find what I'm talking about, check between the lines from this switch, to the throttle body.

I've replaced two on 944s before, the switch often goes bad, along with the lines. The factory switch is black on brass, while the updated ones are white on brass. Be carefull, they're really brittle...

Good luck, shouldn't be more than $25 for parts...
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 01-12-2001, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That sucking sound is you, if you don't go to your brother's wedding!!! Once again I have to agree with Ahmet on his diagnosis. (Sorry, the first remark was TOO good to pass up!)

Old 01-12-2001, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: