Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
87 NA Rotors

So....my front calipers are sticking...and I'm planning on buying some rebuilt calipers with pads from 944-online.com. Cheap, and I don't have the time to rebuild myself.

Of course, I will have to turn the rotors or buy new ones. I would rather buy new, because I have already turned this set once. I was looking on ebay for some drilled rotors, and everthing is for 83-86 NA's.

What is the story here?? I didn't think there was a difference between 86 and 87s.

Does anyone know where I could purchase some front rotors (drilled or not) for an 87 NA at a reasonable price???

Thanks for the help

87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 06-18-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I got mine from Paragon Products. They were a reasonable price, and were made by the OEM manufacturer if I remember correctly. Try them.

By the way, don't ever shave your old rotors; it compromises performance and they'll always be more prone to warping anyways, IMHO.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Turning you rotors once should not mean they need to be replaced. You will need to check the thickness and see if it is within spec. I have never had to do brake's on my 924, but for example my 99 Intrepid has been turned twice and they are still fine. On the other end my sisters 2000 BMW had to have new rotors installed with the frist brake job. It seems that BMW rotors are designed to wear with the pads. Her brake job was $900. The only way to know for sure is to measure the thickness of the rotors

On another note I would recomend that everyone change their brake fluid at least every three years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Overtime that moisture will cause the internals on the calipers or wheel cylinders to gunk up or rust. This is probably the second largest reason for failure. Go ahead and change your brake fluid you probably will be surprised at the crud that comes out.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Thumbs up

Will, Tweeks sells drilled rotors for your Car. They are part #418-232 and they are $119 each. The phone numer is 1-888-489-3357 or go to www.madirect.com. They used to have a asss kicking big brake kit for you car. It would look sweet but I cant find it anywhere. Anyways you should upgrade ur Brake lines to braided stainless steal with teflon linings, I did it and its cool, also Im running hawk brake pads and I love them. If you wanna get really crazy get some 1500 degree paint and paint ur brake calipers and then have a clear coat put on them. It looks sweet and doesnt fade or turn a funny color. I painted mine red but I only did a clear coat on the front to see what would happen and the front ones are sweet and the back look faded. Anyway hope I could help

Last edited by fast924S; 06-18-2003 at 06:11 PM..
Old 06-18-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Thanks for the help guys. I went to Paragon and they have slotted rotors for only $65 each!! I would get drilled...but for how cheap slotted rotors are I would rather save the money.

fast924S: Where would I get the braided lines and teflon linings? How much are they? How hard are they to install?? I would paint my calipers, but I have the 928 S4 wheels on my car...so you can't even see the calipers.
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 06-19-2003, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Slotted is best....Drilled are weak and crack. Ok to run drilled in rear but I never will on front. ATE has slotted rotors and you can get them for 51.00 bucks at 944racing.com Sman
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Will, Im sorry I may have explained it wrong but the New braided lines are teflon coated. But anyway They are realyy easy to install just un screw your rubber brake lines and install the new ones and bleed the system. I think you can get the lines from Tweeks or Performance products or Im sure some where on the internet.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: